Darkside - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Darkside

Been doing a bit of reading lately about going darkside. I think when I replace my rear tire this year I might try out a car tire. Just curious if there's any darkside riders on here?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 08:04 PM

There are several of us here who embrace the darkside, and many who don't, and the discussions get a bit heated. Some say will surely die if you go darkside, while others have put tens thousands of miles their car tire with incredible results. Darkside tires don't work for everyone in every situation, but for some of us like me, it is the best option.

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

my buddy just went to the darkside on his Kawasaki Vulcan 1600. it's a shame, you know? cuz i know i can never talk to him again.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM

Awwww, c'mon......we're not bad people. Just a little smarter than average

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 11:59 AM

I have over 40K on the DS on my liner but why do you want one on an 1100, I always ran over 16K on the rear and over 20K on the front using ME880s on my 1100 classic.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
I have over 40K on the DS on my liner but why do you want one on an 1100, I always ran over 16K on the rear and over 20K on the front using ME880s on my 1100 classic.
Curiosity I guess.

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 03:31 PM

The DS is not for everyone and every bike but the liners avg 6-9K on the rear so that was three rears a year, running Avons.
That was $800.00 a year, after the first year I went to a General 215-60-17 and would never do that again, loved it 75% of the time, tolareted it 15% and hated it 10%, after it wore down I put a 205 on and and am quite happy with it.
Remember this is on a Roadliner and I ride 20-over30K a year so it's out of necessity, I wore out one new tire in one month, I also run a Pilot Activ rear tire on the front for mileage.
Unless you ride a whole lot of miles a year there is no reason to go DS, especally on an 1100.
Jim
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
Unless you ride a whole lot of miles a year there is no reason to go DS, especally on an 1100.
Jim
Why not? Where I live (Hoosier state), it makes great sense. The OP is from Iowa, and I think his riding would be similar to mine?? We have some challenging roads, with gooves, pot holes, sand, rain, tar snakes, grass and various other obstacles, and the car tire handles them with ease, much more so than the mt (in my opinion). Have you ever hit your front brake on a road with a surprise patch of sand on it? Not fun, so we sometimes rely on the back brake a little more in that situation, and the car tire is MUCH more stable in the event of a slide. Then, for those brave enough to weather the cold, there is sometimes the chance of a surprise freezing mist or flurry on occasion. If I get caught in one of those, I will be glad to have the ct under me. It won't help the front much, but it will help in acceleration, braking, and stability. For mountainous regions, I would not recommend it; choose another option. But even though someone does not ride a million miles a year, it can still be benificial.

Last edited by rmccutchan; 02-13-2014 at 04:28 PM.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm definitely not putting 30k a year on my bike, as I'm really only able to ride 8 months out of the year. But I do like saving money as much as anyone, and the added stability would be a definite bonus.

Roads around here get messed up within one season of them paving due to our winters. Going down the highway bikes love to follow those tar snakes, and from what I've been told a CT is significantly less prone to act that way.

V-Star 1100 Silverado
429 cams
Chubby pods
Speedster Slashdowns
Dyna 3000
AIS Removed
64lb clutch

Sappers Forward
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 AM

Do you need to change rims to run a car tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode