Different brand front and rear tires ok? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Different brand front and rear tires ok?

Hey guys and gals,
I currently have about 11,500 miles on my '09 Vstar 950T. My rear tire is pretty squared off due to the type of riding that I do, showing some pretty good wear. My front tire visually to me is good showing little wear. My rear tire is not slick, still shows some tread but I'm thinking I'll get a replacement here soon. I have the factory bridgestones on the bike.

My question is, is it a general rule to keep the front and back matching (as far as brand and all that) or can you put a different brand on the rear? I read that many like the Metzler brand and I'd like to try that but can't honestly justify replacing the front tire without it "being time to".

Or is it a good idea to replace both at the same time? This is my first tire change, so I am looking for advice.

Thanks

"More sweat = Less blood"

2009 Yamaha 950T Black with Buck's Lowers
Sissy Bar removed/rack added
Rush slip-on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 AM

It's the same as asking permission to do wheelies. Someone cannot in good conscience steer you into deciding according to the amount of risk you the rider is willing to accept. We also don't know enough about where you are riding and the type of rider. The fact you own a Yamaha could mean you are mild mannered and into straight up cruising for the scenery, or a juiced up testosterone and adrenaline junkie trying to grasp past days of your youth, ripping it up. You know the technical answer is proven scientifically that different tires, whether treads or compounds, track differently, so there are some residual effects in making that choice. But you knew that, otherwise the question would not be proposed...

Does it mean everyone replaces tires at the same time? Not always. For myself, I generally run 2 rears to every 1 front tire unless that front has taken a pounding due to counter-steering, by cupping or showing excessive wear, and I don't mix brands. If I wish to trade brands it's definitely going on as a set. Right or wrong, I feel comfortable in my approach and that's about the amount of risk I'm willing to accept. This practice has also served me well.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

front tread patterns differ significantly from the rear even when comparing a "set" of tires, but, I agree with the above, I don't mix compounds and keep the front and rear matched "by brand" but not necessarily by "age or miles". I don't know anybody personally that mixes a radial and a BP, not that you are considering that mix, it was just an example

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm somewhere inbetween. The majority of the riding ends up being on straight highway, so I do try to choose curvy roads regularly as well as "city ridin" (red lights). I try not to ride the same way everytime from point A to point B just to maintain proficiency with different roads. I thought I was riding a fairly good proportion of straight to curvy, but my rear tire would say otherwise. I'm learning to ride a little more slowly from riding with my father-in-law on the highway. My longest rides are (as many) 4 lane highway droning miles, going through some small towns.

Running the same brand front and rear makes good sense as I read about variations between brands. I am a safe rider, so when money allows, I'll replace the set. It looks like I'm going Metzler for my second set, unless the Bridgestone rear tire is just too good of a deal to pass up.

Rush slip-on
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Mix

I did mix tires once. I was on a trip needed tires and mixing was all I could do. When Liners were new tires were hard to get in 06. I didn't really notice any problem. I have been told that is really a no on a sport bike but you can get away with it on a cruiser. I would take that to mean there is some problems.

As was said mixing a biased tire and a radial would really be a no. Both my tires were radials. I have not mixed tires since. I normally buy both tires even though the front tire wears longer.

Guess I would not mix tires unless you have to.

Dave
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 AM

I have mixed tyres alot and have never had a problem even on my busas or 1000's busas especially we would put slightly harder on the rear and sticky on the front and that worked very well as busas DESTROY rear tyres, id only get about 2000kms from a rear normally. also i did alot of drag racing on my bike and only having bikes i couldnt trailer mine so i would ride my drag bike to the track with a nice sticky race style front like a dunlop qualifier and pretty much a drag slick that was road legal on the back(shinko) never had any problems in over 200,000kms on the sports bikes. aslong as the tyres arent radically different i dont see a problem. one other consideration is tyre age if your front is getting to be a few years old now then id suggest changing it regardless of wear. mixing construction types ie ply or radial is a big no no. but this is only my experience im not an expert.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 11:11 AM

I don't want to discount what anybody here has said, but I have to wonder really how much difference it can make. There are 2 axles on the bike and each has 1 tire (obviously!). On a car it's very important to run the same size and type of tire on each axle. If it's 4wd then all 4 have to match. But on a bike, the front tire is going to roll however it's going to roll regardless of what the rear is doing. Same goes for the rear, it does what it does and the front won't affect what the rear does. Or at least in my feeble mind this is how I see it!

We change sizes from OE all the time without any ill effects. Tire pressures can vary and also no harm is caused. I guess what I'm saying is that with all the variables that we encounter I can't see where it really matters.

That being said, I myself run a radial on the rear (of a different size than came on my bike) and a bias on the front. I know lots of people that do this and have for many miles.

Bottom line I guess is do what you are comfortable with. Ease of mind is the safest way to ride!

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer
Too many bolt-on goodies to remember!

Gone but not forgotten...

Memeber of the Black Bike Club -- Fastest Color Available!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks everybody for the replies. I'll probably replace the rear with the factory original Bridgestone. I have no complaints from the factory tire, though I hear there are several other brands that people generally upgrade to.

I've also kept my accessory purchases to a minimum with this bike because I feel I'll probably go to the 1300 in a year or so.

Rush slip-on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode