Shinko Tires. A nice surprise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Shinko Tires. A nice surprise

Hi all, I've been a member here but haven't posted in a while. I just wanted to give a quick report on a set of Shinko tires I bought a few thousand miles ago and thought I would share my experience thus far.

At about 6,000 miles, my stock Dunlop rear develped a bit of damage and it was time to replace it. Looking for the best bang for my buck, I came accross the Shinko SE890 touring tires. That particular set offered a matching front/rear that would fit my ride as a set. Doing my online research, I read that they were obviously "taller" than stock tires of the same size and when I got mine it did seem taller. However, I went slightly wider from a 170 to 180 which by the way fits perfectly in the rear fender. I've been thinking about lowering the rear an inch and if I do that, i'm confident there is more that enough room for the tire to fit. I guess I should mention I'm riding a 2012 Vstar 950.

A little over 4,000 miles later, I have been pleasantly surpised and impressed. The grip on the tires is excellent and inspire confidence. Even on wet roads. They are wearing far better than the Dunlops and they are far more affordable. There seems to be a LOT of life left which brings a big smile to my face. With the rear being a little wider and taller, I get a little more lean before my floorboards start scraping. I'm also happy about that too. As an added bonus they shipped from Amazon for free. If you were in the market for replacement tires and ride a lot, give these Shinko's a chance. As always, YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:21 AM

I've rune maybe 8-10 sets of shinkos on various bikes. While they are not cutting edge technology, they are tried and true technology and a great tire for the money, I had these on high performance bikes up to nearly 200 mph and road races and drag raced. If they can handle those conditions (obviously a diff tire design-but my point is they make good stuff) they can handle a lazy slow cruiser like we have with little effort. And the shinkos always got some of the best wear.

I want to try a car tire next... Mwahahahahaha. I seem to drag my floorboard quite easily and have a huge chicken strip. So if she can't lean far, why not go darkside.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 PM

Im running the 230 tourmasters...About 3k and still a ton of tread left - they also handle better than my Exedras

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 12:44 PM

Good to hear. I just got a set of 230s will be putting them on this weekend.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekool4 View Post
Good to hear. I just got a set of 230s will be putting them on this weekend.
Me too, except just the front. I'm anxious to see how well they do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Got my Shinko mounted on the rim today. The bead seated at about 20psi, and it was in balance without weights. Will get it on the bike tomorrow and see how it rides. Looks like a promising tire.......

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by rmccutchan; 04-13-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode