Michelin Commander II's - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Michelin Commander II's

I ride a 2004 V-Star 650 Classic

I have no idea about the actual mileage of my old tires because they were on it when I bought the bike. The rear was a Dunlap D404 from 2011 and the front was a Bridgestone G703 from 2007. My road trip last week finally got the old 404 down to and a little past the wear indicator. The front was OK from a tread depth standpoint but I figured it was worth replacing just on age anyway.

I've known this was coming and have had my eye on a set of Michelin Commander II's. I've seen nothing but good reviews of these tires and I have always been pleased with Michelin on my other vehicles so I decided to give them a shot. Saturday was the day.

I've heard horror stories about how slick new tires can be until they get a few miles on them, so I set out with a great deal of caution. As it turns out, this was really not necessary. Straight out of the box these tires seemed to have at least as much grip as what I took off. As I've put a few miles on them in the last two days they seem to only be getting better. More than once I've had to adjust the way I took a turn because they have been so responsive that I've found myself nearly crossing the yellow line when I would have been nowhere near it on the old tires.

So far I am VERY well pleased. Now if they will just last as long as Michelin claims, I'll continue to be pleased.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM

I too have installed the Michelins recently. They seem to handle well and respond nicely, but I think that any new tire will seem more responsive than the old worn ones that were replaced. Like you, I'm waiting to see if the claims for increased service life (mileage) hold true.

<::::>< er

2008 Candy Red 1100 Silverado
Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Kuryakyn Hypercharger and Jets
Samson Warlord II Ripsaw Pipes
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Luggage Rack (only on tour)
Sissy Bar Luggage (only on tour)
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Elk

I have a little under 1000 miles on mine and am very happy also. I have only ridden in the rain once so I can't say if the wet traction is as good as claimed (main reason I bought them).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Love my commander IIs but I also only have about a 1000 miles on them so we'll see on long wear. I'm MUCH happier with them than the stock tire and find them good in the rain, though I just hate riding in the rain in general!

Annie
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 10:23 AM

After a few weeks of riding on the Michelins I've observed that they handle irregularities in the pavement that are parallel to the direction of travel better that my previous tires. I usually try to avoid these, but sometimes they are unavoidable such as when changing lanes in busy traffic. It's comforting to know that they won't send tremors up to the handlebars like the old tires did. I have yet to ride them over a steel grate bridge, but I suspect that they won't tend to wander as much as the old tires.

Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed

Last edited by Michael; 06-26-2014 at 10:25 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 PM
Elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annielikeslyrics View Post
I just hate riding in the rain in general!
Yep, especially the "gulley washer". Sometimes unavoidable thanks to faulty weather reports...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Garage
Hi, been on hiatus for a while, lots of riding been done. I've recently replaced my Michelin Commander II tires. Overall I was able to get 20,000 miles out of the rear tire. I was really impressed. Unfortunately they were back ordered with a three month wait for my bike so I am trying the Metzler 888 on the rear. Keeping the Commander II on the front, it wasn't backordered. After this set as a comparison I will most likely go back to the Commander II or the darkside.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 01:39 PM

I put the commander II's on my 650 Classic not too long ago and I have to say that so far I'm not liking the way the bike feels now. Replaced both front and rear, got rid of the Dunlops. They were far past due, the rear was a slick for the last 2000 miles of its service and the front was 4 years old.

Right from the get go with the Michelins leaving the bike shop I noticed the bike only wanted to go straight and made slow manuvers difficult. I was like WTH is going on? It's strange, like the bike now feels much heavier or something and wants to tip over if making a very slow turn. Then, the other thing that is weird, when going through the first few gears the rear tire almost feels as if it's floating around on me. Bike feels squirrely.
Everything is tight and lined up so who knows. The bike is smooth enough on the open road so they seem balanced right.

The 650 isn't a real heavy bike and I felt my bike was quite nimble. The commander II's make it seem like a totally different bike and not in a good way. I've never had a problem making tight turns on it at slow speeds but now it's like my balance is off or something. Strange huh? Oh well, as long as they last longer than the Dunlop 404's.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Right from the get go with the Michelins leaving the bike shop I noticed the bike only wanted to go straight and made slow manuvers difficult. I was like WTH is going on? It's strange, like the bike now feels much heavier or something and wants to tip over if making a very slow turn. Then, the other thing that is weird, when going through the first few gears the rear tire almost feels as if it's floating around on me. Bike feels squirrely.

The 650 isn't a real heavy bike and I felt my bike was quite nimble. The commander II's make it seem like a totally different bike and not in a good way. I've never had a problem making tight turns on it at slow speeds but now it's like my balance is off or something. Strange huh? Oh well, as long as they last longer than the Dunlop 404's.
I've noticed that squirrely feeling too with every tire replacement, but it seems to go away as I become accustomed to the new tires. I think it's simply due to suddenly going from tires with a flat contact patch to a round contact patch.

I've got 6K miles on mine and there's still a lot of tread left. 10K to 12K wouldn't surprise me given my riding style.

Passing Lamps
Cramp Buster Throttle
Risers, 3 X 1.5
Mustang Seat w/backrest
Passenger Floor Boards
Cut Down Windshield
Engine Guards
Highway Pegs
Jardin OFR Kit
Barons Tachometer
Clock/Thermometer
Windshield Bag
Tank Bib with pocket
Leather Trimmings
Badges removed
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 03:13 PM

Garage
Say no to Metzlers 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger1971 View Post
Hi, been on hiatus for a while, lots of riding been done. I've recently replaced my Michelin Commander II tires. Overall I was able to get 20,000 miles out of the rear tire. I was really impressed. Unfortunately they were back ordered with a three month wait for my bike so I am trying the Metzler 888 on the rear. Keeping the Commander II on the front, it wasn't backordered. After this set as a comparison I will most likely go back to the Commander II or the darkside.
Ok couldn't get Commander II tires as they were out of stock everywhere last year so I went with at Metzler 888, supposed to be the new tire that lasts just as long as the Commander II. Wow, what a disappointment, Here it is only 11,500 miles later and it's slick down the middle and looks like I'm about to get in the belts. I got better mileage off the 880's the first time than these tires and a whole lot better from the Commander II's

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode