Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Yet another tire size question

4K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Chazzmichaels 
#1 ·
The tire I want doesn't come in the stock 1300 rear size. How far can I deviate from the width and height to maintain at least close to stock. I am getting ready to do a long trip, some interstate, and I don't want to increase my rpm's on the highway too much. I am looking at a 150/80-16, which should lessen the rpm's, but it is narrower than stock. Would this be a problem? What other sizes have you used successfully?

#4 ·
Yea, me too, I was surprised to see the CII had almost no effect for some reason that I do not remember, someone posted a site where you plug in your tire size and it spits out all that info. I forgot who, where and what forum, if I remember I will post it ... and yes, I I read my post here, it almost makes no sense *L*

BTW - I am loving my Commander II, looks good on the bike too, handling it about what I had/on par with my Excedra Max (which I LOVED when it came to handling)

#6 ·
Y I do not remember, someone posted a site where you plug in your tire size and it spits out all that info. I forgot who, where and what forum, if I remember I will post it
Is this what you were thinking:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php

Here are the results for what I want to do. Looks like about 3/4" narrower, which I don't mind, but I just want to make sure it will go on the rim properly:

[url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=170-70r16-150-80r16][/URL]

#7 ·
BTW - I am loving my Commander II, looks good on the bike too, handling it about what I had/on par with my Excedra Max (which I LOVED when it came to handling)[/QUOTE]

Are you still loving the Commander II? I'm thinking of going with these - any install issues with the 180/65/16 rear? My bike is an '09 1300.

Only $5 more after install than the Excedra Max in the OEM size.

#8 ·
BTW - I am loving my Commander II, looks good on the bike too, handling it about what I had/on par with my Excedra Max (which I LOVED when it came to handling)

Are you still loving the Commander II? I'm thinking of going with these - any install issues with the 180/65/16 rear? My bike is an '09 1300.

Only $5 more after install than the Excedra Max in the OEM size.[/QUOTE]

This is the one I put on mine (front is stock size). No issues what so ever. I only have about 2000 miles on them, but so far I'm thinking I'll just stick with these when I need tires again.

#9 · (Edited)
yes, still loveing the commander II 180/65/16.
In fact im in the Smokey Mountians right now and the tire got a real workout the last few days, including some HEAVY rain on the way here last Monday. All is well, love the tire and for me, wish i did it years ago. Now about the wet handling, im not qualified to answer that as i do not intentionally ride in the rain, though the tire did make me feel confident enough, that the first thunderstorm on monday i did pull over for, then hit the road again, as we dried out, we hit another storm, didnt last as long but i felt confident enough that I did not pull over, just kept riding, getting pelted with rain hard enough it was stinging my hands.
ok, now im about to call Smokey Mountian Harley about a bike i saw there, there is a very SLIM possibilty on my mind that i might come back on a new bike and leave the 1300 behind, but doubt Ill get up the nerve to spend the money...will see... but i got to say, loaded with gear and two up, this bike is amazing, the 1300.

#10 ·
I had talked myself into just sticking with the OEM size for the rear and the Bridgestones. Now you guys got me thinking about the Michelins again. All the shops around here are sold out of the rear (both brands) so I have a few days to think about it. The local Dealer said to go with the OEM size / Exedra Max.

#12 ·
I got the 150 installed and put about 1,000 miles on it. It seems to be fine, but the side walls kinda pooch out a bit, but not real bad. I don't think there is anything unsafe about it, but next time I will go with a bit wider tire. I do like the handling though. After having a wide car tire for 10,000 miles, it took a minute to get used to it. We don't have many curves here, but it handles great as far as I can tell. Now, if I can get some miles out of it, I will be a happy camper and will buy the Shinko again, just wider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.