dissection of CT vs MT - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

dissection of CT vs MT

someone cut a motorcycle wheel with a motorcycle tire on it, and a motorcycle wheel with a car tire on it.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Red face Strong

That CT looks a lot stronger AND a lot heavier !

JJ

Let's ride some more !
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin'John View Post
That CT looks a lot stronger AND a lot heavier !

JJ
I think the motorcycle tire is the one on top.

Bevo? Which is which?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:41 AM

If you click on them the info pops up. The top is the mc tire and the bottom is the car tire. The mc tire is clearly thicker with stronger side walls as you would expect of a tire designed to lean. The car tire is designed to run fairly flat on the tread.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
If you click on them the info pops up. The top is the mc tire and the bottom is the car tire. The mc tire is clearly thicker with stronger side walls as you would expect of a tire designed to lean. The car tire is designed to run fairly flat on the tread.
That's what I thought and thanks for the verification.

The fit to the rim for the bike tire is also, pretty clearly, significantly better. I don't know how 'fair' this is in terms of the dark siders feeling like their views are properly represented by this example?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 AM

Well it does look like a pretty wimpy car tire but ever since I heard about dark side I've been thinking it has to be an awfully small tire to fit most bikes. I would think any fire that small would be designed to fit tiny, low performance economy cars. That is what we seem to be looking at in this photo.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
Well it does look like a pretty wimpy car tire but ever since I heard about dark side I've been thinking it has to be an awfully small tire to fit most bikes. I would think any fire that small would be designed to fit tiny, low performance economy cars. That is what we seem to be looking at in this photo.
Ok, but, again, to rehash the whole pro-con argument, assuming these pics are a fair enough representation, MC tires are designed to lean and to fit to a MC rim, and, especially, the bead. Car tires are not. Even the pro dark side vids showing car tires on bikes, a camera from underneath showing the contact patch, show this huge distinction.

Car tires would make perfect sense if you never lean because they have far more contact patch than a MC when going straight.

Past that, any grip a car tire is designed to give is in context of having 3 more helping out so, harder compounds with less grip make sense because there is help, a balance between OK grip and longer lasting.

For a bike, frankly, wear says "GRIP". A tire wearing is the result of friction and, on one extreme would be a really sticky tire that doesn't last long at all and the other would be one that lasts a long time at the expense of grip. So, somewhere in between is the ideal and the ideal is going to be based on bike and riding style.

You go into a corner pretty hot and think of the enormous pressure on that tiny contact patch, the ONLY thing keeping the bike from sliding out. I'll take more grip. That's why I kept going with the Exedra's so long; I had zero complaints about the grip.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM

My car tire looked nothing like that when I took it off. I compared the beads and it looked the same as the motorcycle tire.

As far as grip, car tires are designed to flex, so in some cases, you have as much or more of a contact patch than a motorcycle tire. Besides that, car tires are designed for MUCH heavier vehicles, so our light weight (by comparison) bikes are not going to take the tire to any limits.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Talking Debate

The argument that you can never win.
I know that with my car tire I can lean 'till I scrape hard parts.
I have better traction in the rain.
It gives a smoother ride.
It is not noisy.
I can patch it with a plug.
I don't have to go to the stealer to get a good deal on a tire.
It lasts a lot longer.
It is cheaper.
It looks great.
It makes darkside haters happy that they have something to argue about.
I don't get WHY they feel that they have to convince me that it's a bad idea.

JJ

Let's ride some more !
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Larry Gude.. I was wondering "what" model Exedra tire YOU went with??......................And in what price range was it??

Ride Safe...
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode