first flat? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy first flat?

Ok just seen my rear tire is flat looks like a larger staple sticking out. I know bike shops wont plug a tire has anyone done there own.it works on cars and last the life if the tire . recommendations? ?. Yes plug or no
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM

I guess the reason people shy away from plugging is the fact your only on 2 tires to begin with. Ive plugged my share of tires, mostly truck/car tires, a few lawn mower tires and even on our BobCat. They seem to hold/seal very well. Ive never had a plug fail on a truck/car tire but I usually patched those from the inside versus a typical plug. If you plug anything the trick is to trim the excess off below the tread line so you don't pull it out. We were doing a run with a bunch of bikes and someone got a flat and the only thing the garage could do is plug it (we were out in the middle of nowhere), they rode it home (about 60 miles) without any issues but the following Monday they had it switched out, sucks because the bike only had about 1500 miles on it.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM
SSC

The shops here will patch bike tires from the inside the correct way. But at that point there is a lot of labor taking the tire off the expence of putting a new tires on is minimal especially a rear tire. I have used a plug with no issue but it was a large nail. If it's a smaller diameter hole I've also used slime with great results. I had slime in my rear tire last time it was changed I gave fair warning to the shop. I got 4000 miles on slime before the tire needed changed

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 PM

I plug trailer tires occasionally and some farm equipment tires and once in a while a car or truck tire.

I don't have a lot of confidence in a plugged MC tire. For an emergency or to get to the shop to change a tire, then yes I would plug it. But to plug and count on the plug for an extended time, I would not. The problem as I see it, is that an MC tire isn't really all that thick so the plug doesn't have a lot of material to adhere to.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the input gang.have a safe holiday weekend.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

i wouldn't plug one. it changes the characteristics of the tire which already has only half the contact patch as a car tire. and a bike is starting out with only half the tires as a car. and plugged tires on cars are only supposed to be temporary anyway. two things i don't gamble on with my bike are tires and brakes.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode