For those thinking about the Cheap Dunlop - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
SSC

For those thinking about the Cheap Dunlop

Figured I would post this I know we all try to save a buck. I was able to go 8k on my facotry rear tire. The stock Bridgestone left a lot to be desired IMO but when I replaced it at 8k still had some tread left in the center. I took the cheap route out and got one of the Dunlop harley stamped tires bike now has 11k on it or 3k on the tire and the thing is bald. About 800 miles of this was 2 up riding it the majority was single no load just the typical gloves Ect in the saddle bags. This tire felt very loose from the start felt like it would slip around corners. It seems a lot better now that it's bald go figure. The wear on the tire is picture perfect still round no high or low spots. This is just sad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	35538  

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 PM

Wow, that sucks. I've heard alot of bad reviews about the Dunlop D404. I've got 3200 miles on mine and it has about half the tread left. I'm not super hard on my tires but I'm not super easy on them either in my opinion. I wonder how one can last ok and one be shot so soon.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 PM

More lefts and rights should solve the uneven wear problem.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
SSC

I'm going to try a differnt brand tire. Not sure I'm going to keep this bike but ordered a kenda tire. Seems people are getting a lot of miles out of them. Not thrilled with China parts but a good part is a good part

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC View Post
I'm going to try a differnt brand tire. Not sure I'm going to keep this bike but ordered a kenda tire. Seems people are getting a lot of miles out of them. Not thrilled with China parts but a good part is a good part
I have heard nothing but good reviews on Kenda tires. They will be my next choice.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:49 AM

my 1100 came stock with a dunlop k555 and i got 10,000 miles out of it.now i run dunlop 404 on the front and pirelli 66 on the back and i get 10,000 miles out of them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 10:07 AM

I would use Kenda Kruz K673. My Yamaha Zuma 125 came with Kendas and I haven't had a problem with them. They are a Taiwanese company that has been in business over 50 years making tires for just about anything with rubber tires on it. I wouldn't worry a bit about having Kendas on my bike.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
SSC

I ordered a 671 I could have gotten a 673 for the same price but I like the tread pattern in the 671 seems like it may work better in wet conditions. I read that the 673 can be a little loose feeling on a wet road.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Cool. Both are great tires.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 06:50 AM

Garage
Wont matter what brand of tire you get when they are out of balance this is how they will look and this tire was out of balance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode