Tire Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Tire Question

Closing in on 4000 miles with my 650 custom and thinking I won't get more than another 800-1000 miles out of my rear OEM tire. I want to go with Michellin Commander IIs. The front tire still has a lot of life left.

So question is, how critical is it for handling to have matched brand tires front and rear? Would there be any problem with going Michellin on the back then replacing the stock Dunlop front later when it actually wears out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:45 PM

I had a commander on the front with a stock rear while the rear tire was on back oder and it handled perfectly. I also added ride on balance and flat fixer and I love it.

Vance and Hines Big Radius
Cobra Sissy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Show Chrome Belt Guard
Show Chrome Regulator Cover
Kurakyn Oversized Flame Footboards
Kuryakyn ISO Wings Rear Passenger Boards
Kuryakyn ISO Flame Grips
Kuryakyn Handlebar Weights
Kuryakyn Chrome Rear Break Peddle
Kuryakyn Front Chrome Master Cylinder Cover
DDM Tuning HID Kit 55W 1200K
Custom Dynamics 120 LED Rear Light
Custom Dynaics GEN2 Magic Brake Flasher
Geezer Glide Custom Seats
Baron Enfurno Big Air Kit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 06:56 AM

How worn is the rear? Is there any tread at all through the middle patch of the tire? I ran my original rear (Dunlop) to almost 10000 miles. It was completely bald by 7000 I think. Ran the second to over 9000. Again, bald through the 3 inch center width of the tire, and had been for the last 2000 miles. I was probably to the 'wear indicators' by 4000 but just kept running it. The tires are pretty thick and changing them every 4-5000 miles is a waste. Of course this was my experience, maybe your tire is pretty bald already. If you ride on wet roads often you do want some tread, but for dry roads it's no biggie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
How worn is the rear? Is there any tread at all through the middle patch of the tire? I ran my original rear (Dunlop) to almost 10000 miles. It was completely bald by 7000 I think. Ran the second to over 9000. Again, bald through the 3 inch center width of the tire, and had been for the last 2000 miles. I was probably to the 'wear indicators' by 4000 but just kept running it. The tires are pretty thick and changing them every 4-5000 miles is a waste. Of course this was my experience, maybe your tire is pretty bald already. If you ride on wet roads often you do want some tread, but for dry roads it's no biggie.
It's about 1/32 to go before it evens out with the wear marker. I don't want to run it all the way bald. Will bring it to slightly below the wear marker then replace it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:41 AM

I'd run it several thousand more at least but, that's me! I had no handling problems running mine way past the wear markers. Call me stubborn or cheap, no way I was buying another tire so soon.
Also, it depends who you ask about the mismatched brand tires front and back. Some say it makes no difference and it's just a marketing gimmick. Others swear handling seems poor.
I did just last month get the Michelin Commander II's on my bike (650 classic). Both front and rear, so far the bike handles very strangely. Just under 1000 miles on them. Steers like a dump truck now and the back tire seems to float around. I hope this goes away after some more miles.

If you can get the tires at a good price and do the work yourself I can understand changing the tires earlier than later. I have to take my bike into a shop and pay way too much. Plus if your bike has tube tires you're suppose to change those too. More $. Motorcycle tires must be made of gummy bears considering how fast the rubber disappears. I try to get my money's worth.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 09:51 AM

At 8000 miles my stock Dunlop (rear) was to the wear bars, but just barley. Yesterday I had a Commander II put on and only rode 10 miles. This weekend I'll get in about 600 and see how it handles.

My front Bridgestone still has some rubber left, so I'll leave that on until spring, since my riding season is closing fast.

I paid $180 for the Commander and $55 for the install, don't know if that's good or not. Oh, and no sales tax in Oregon !

Don
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I'd run it several thousand more at least but, that's me! I had no handling problems running mine way past the wear markers. Call me stubborn or cheap, no way I was buying another tire so soon.
Also, it depends who you ask about the mismatched brand tires front and back. Some say it makes no difference and it's just a marketing gimmick. Others swear handling seems poor.
I did just last month get the Michelin Commander II's on my bike (650 classic). Both front and rear, so far the bike handles very strangely. Just under 1000 miles on them. Steers like a dump truck now and the back tire seems to float around. I hope this goes away after some more miles.

If you can get the tires at a good price and do the work yourself I can understand changing the tires earlier than later. I have to take my bike into a shop and pay way too much. Plus if your bike has tube tires you're suppose to change those too. More $. Motorcycle tires must be made of gummy bears considering how fast the rubber disappears. I try to get my money's worth.

Mine handle noticeably better with the commander tires than the stock Bridgestone tires. People have said to me that I'm going faster on corners. If your bike is riding like that for a thousand miles I doubt its gonna get better. I would be checking to make sure everything is lined up right. I have a different bike (950), but still that doesn't sound right.

Vance and Hines Big Radius
Cobra Sissy Bar
Cobra Luggage Rack
Show Chrome Belt Guard
Show Chrome Regulator Cover
Kurakyn Oversized Flame Footboards
Kuryakyn ISO Wings Rear Passenger Boards
Kuryakyn ISO Flame Grips
Kuryakyn Handlebar Weights
Kuryakyn Chrome Rear Break Peddle
Kuryakyn Front Chrome Master Cylinder Cover
DDM Tuning HID Kit 55W 1200K
Custom Dynamics 120 LED Rear Light
Custom Dynaics GEN2 Magic Brake Flasher
Geezer Glide Custom Seats
Baron Enfurno Big Air Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode