question on the darkside - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

question on the darkside

Hi all well as you know i am fairly new to this great forum and have beeen reading posts about the darkside and how the tyres wear and handle ect. Now i have been a memeber of other forums and it seems that the same thing is brought up about the difference in mileage ,and handling ect on other forums as well as the baggin .
What my question is and i hope not to get flammed over this as i know my name is crispy but i dont really want to live up to it ,how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
I dont know about there in the U.S but i would imagine insurers are tarred with the same brush because i think here they would try to use any legal loophole to get out of paying a claim ,moderators if this is to hot then delete this thread as i dont want flames coming out of my speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Hello down there. Ive been "darkside" for bout a year now, running a General Altimax on my 1100 classic, and have had no problems with handling other than getting used to the feel initially. Had to adjust air pressure till found that sweet spot. 38 psi running 2 up. Have around 8000 miles on it now and still looks new. Front tire is another matter. I'll never buy another Dunlop 404 again. As far as the insurance goes, I would recommend talking to you insurer and asking them what their policy may be. I do know that when that question was posed on the darkside forum, members had talked to their agents and they had said not a problem. Good luck in your search and hope I helped some.

Sonysnek

Last edited by bevo1981; 09-21-2014 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

just guessing, but in a 1 vehicle bike accident i would think they could deny a claim because of the car tire. it probably depends on your coverage. in a 2 vehicle accident with another car, i doubt they would deny a claim since the fault usually lies with the other vehicle. and this may be different for each insurance company. so it might be a question better answered by whoever covers you.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
...how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
Ideally, you will never have this problem because you will keep researching using a car tire on a bike rim up to the point where you realize that car tires and bike rims don't go together and that you are risking your life for a couple 1,000 dollars, if that, over your life.

Ideally, Bevo is gonna re post his fabulous pics that illustrate just what it is you're thinking about doing and why it really might not be a good decision for reasons that will become obvious when he shows you.

Another way of putting the question is 'how would your survivors handle the claim'.

I put a LOT of time and research into the question in search of saving some money because Strats eat tires. I would get as few as 3,200 miles on an Exdera before it was shot.

One car tire, maybe 30,000 miles, $100 or so. Or 10 $170 tires?
$1,600 is real money!

Well, not if my ass gets hurt or killed.

I ride hard, lean hard, go fairly fast. Strats are torque monsters and them eating tires is a symptom of what?

Grip.

Tires wear because of abrasion and abrasion gives us grip. On an 800 pound machine turning in pretty good, I'm kinda liking the idea of leaving a little rubber behind in exchange for not leaving me behind.

Further, Michellin Road Commander II's seem to be a good solution of miles/grip. I am up to 2,200 miles on my first set and they look nearly new. I have read about guys, on here, getting 8,000 miles out of them. If money really matters that much, that cuts the 1,600 clams down, a lot.

But, again, I am hoping Bevo will re post the link or you can find it in another thread, but, the bottom line is car tires do not seat properly on MC rims. They just don't. And, car tires are designed to be ridden on the center, not leaned.

Think about contact patch. Look at the your tube vids. Think about what is going on with a car tire and a bike tire in a curve.

Now you make your own decision and live with it but, for me, the bottom line was, for the benefit of a few bucks, I did not want to be regretting the fact that I put my life at risk with a piece of equipment ill suited for the task. Very ill suited. Plenty of guys swear by it and have great results, no problems, are very happy about it. Good for them and god bless freedom. And responsibility.

To me, it's like the line in Tin Cup where Roy brags about par-ing in the back 9 with a 7 iron and asks Don Johnson if he'd ever done that.

Johnson's character says "Why Roy, I never even thought about trying to."

You can do it. Darkside. But, why? A few bucks?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post

Ideally, Bevo is gonna re post his fabulous pics that illustrate just what it is you're thinking about doing and why it really might not be a good decision for reasons that will become obvious when he shows you.

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=53866

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Thank you very much.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 08:20 PM

When it comes to the insurance part I can guarantee you that if they can find a way out of paying a claim they will. It really doesn't matter what your agent tells you even if he has good honest intentions. Claims are paid out of a office by people that care nothing about you, only the bottom line. The less they pay out the better their bottom line.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy View Post
Hi all well as you know i am fairly new to this great forum and have beeen reading posts about the darkside and how the tyres wear and handle ect. Now i have been a memeber of other forums and it seems that the same thing is brought up about the difference in mileage ,and handling ect on other forums as well as the baggin .
What my question is and i hope not to get flammed over this as i know my name is crispy but i dont really want to live up to it ,how would you go with an insurance claim in the event of an accident ,could your insurer void your claim if they realized that you were not using a motorcycle tyre ?
I dont know about there in the U.S but i would imagine insurers are tarred with the same brush because i think here they would try to use any legal loophole to get out of paying a claim ,moderators if this is to hot then delete this thread as i dont want flames coming out of my speakers
You should never ask this question as you will get all the same out BS about how you can not run a CT on a bike.
As long as it's a DOT approved tire the ins. will pay, I have over 40K miles running CTs and will say unless you ride over 16,000 miles a year, than just forget about it.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNA118 View Post
You should never ask this question as you will get all the same out BS about how you can not run a CT on a bike.
And you get the same BS about how car tires are just fine on motorcycles.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 05:49 PM

Thats why I said he should not ask that question on these forums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode