Average price for tire change - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Average price for tire change

I'm curious as to what my fellow riders are paying for tire changing services. I've been calling around to local stealerships all morning and the prices seem to be pretty darn high, like $40-$100! (I'm providing the tire, inner tube, and wheel already dismounted) What are you guys paying and any recommendations of places?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:57 AM

I always change my own tires but those prices seem to be pretty much in line with everything I've read about it. Different places are going to charge you whatever amount they want to. $40 is kind of on the low side but I have heard of people getting it done for $20-$25.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

2008 ROAD STAR

2008 KAWASAKI KLR 650

2014 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

My ride videos. http://www.youtube.com/user/roadstarblue/videos

Never run out of traction, ideas, and real estate at the same time.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 11:11 AM

$25 at Kings Super Tire in Mount Pleasant, PA.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Well after searching all morning I was finally able to locate a fella on craigslist that does tire changes out of his own garage and has all the equipment. $20 bucks
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:09 PM

My local metric dealer does tire changes for $40 if you just bring in the wheel. It's $60 if you bring in the bike and they have to remove the wheel. It's worth the extra $20 to just ride the bike in. Just had both my tires replaced a while back, they did also charge me and extra $6 for old tire disposal. My local HD dealer where I bought my V star told me it'd be $100 to change a tire (on the bike). Easy choice where to go. Motorcycle tires and changes can get mighty expensive.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:18 PM

I have a friend that balances his own motorcycle tires. Apparently it is super easy. All you have to do is spin the tire. If it stops and then rolls some in the opposite direction, it is unbalanced. If you have a spoked rim, like the V Star 650, the weights just clip onto the spokes.

Harbor Freight sells a motorcycle tire balancer for like $75 I think. However, people say that the Harbor Freight balancer is a hunk of junk and you don't even need it to balance the tire.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:53 PM

don't be so cheap

I changed my own rear tire on my 950. I will never do it again. When I pulled the axle out, spacers fell from everywhere. When I took off the belt pulley, more spacers. A friend of mine made his own bead breaker out of angle iron that is mounted on his wall in his garage. He modified a harbor freight tire changer to fit into the trailer hitch on his pickup. To balance, we put the axle through the wheel and set it on a couple of jack stands. We used stick on weights that we bought at NAPA. It took us about an hour and a half. Next time I will take it to a professional with the right tool for the job.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 07:54 PM

Some dealerships will refuse to mount a tire they didn't sell, claiming liability issues. Others will charge more to change/mount a tire you bring in, presumably because they didn't get the profit from selling the tire. Make sure when you have a tire changed you recheck all the work including air pressure and chain or belt adjustment. Tires are often changed by the "new guy."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 05:12 AM
GEZ

Needing a new rear tire for my Venture, I bought one online paying for most of it with AMEX points. The shop that installed the last set (purchased there) refuses to install anything not purchased there. I called the local Yamaha dealer. First two calls went to voice mail. Third call on another number was answered and sent to the service department where I was on hold through three holding sessions. I hung up. I'm getting squeezed in at another dealer on Friday. Drive the bike in and wait for it, $85. I don't consider that unreasonable at all.

'08 Royal Star Venture
'07 Road Star Silverado
'04 V Star 650 Classic
Lovin' it

Last edited by GEZ; 10-23-2014 at 06:26 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcfly View Post
I changed my own rear tire on my 950. I will never do it again. When I pulled the axle out, spacers fell from everywhere. When I took off the belt pulley, more spacers. A friend of mine made his own bead breaker out of angle iron that is mounted on his wall in his garage. He modified a harbor freight tire changer to fit into the trailer hitch on his pickup. To balance, we put the axle through the wheel and set it on a couple of jack stands. We used stick on weights that we bought at NAPA. It took us about an hour and a half. Next time I will take it to a professional with the right tool for the job.
---- caution this post may be considered a personal rant LOL -----

+1 - I am not inclined to ever want to take on a tire change myself. My DEALERSHIP treats me fairly and they get me in and out quickly.(I dislike the word Stealership, you do know they have to pay employees, have insurance (maybe unlike that "guy in the garage") , etc. not to mention they are in business and expect to make a profit.)

I have 4 local Yammy dealers, all within 30 minutes, and it doesn't mean I don't do price checks at 1 or more of them. I have used 3 out of the 4 for service, mostly because of one of them having what I want as an in stock item and drive in appointments available, but 90% of the time I go to my selling dealer. Because of it they match or beat online prices whenever possible on accessories, and always discount Yammy stuff. Some times a good relationship with your dealer goes much farther than just getting it cheap

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Paul "Red" Adair

-----rant over we now return you to normal forum posting LOL-----

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode