darkside - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

darkside

I know this has probably been beat to death but was wondering if anyone on here was running a car tireon their xvs1300, if so what size and do you have pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:43 PM

Me too me too iv been thinking of going where they have cookies but not sure where to start
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 PM

You can go to "Darkside" on delphiforums.com. There is a chart there that you can scan to find your ride and see what others have used. Proven. Also lots of good people to help with questions. I run a General Altimax 195-65-15 on my 1100 classic and love it. Obviously not for everybody but works great for me and I'll probably never go back to a MT. Good luck. Looks like they also like the Altimax-205-60-16, Dunlop-195-60-16, and others. Worth a look.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnek View Post
You can go to "Darkside" on delphiforums.com. There is a chart there that you can scan to find your ride and see what others have used. Proven. Also lots of good people to help with questions. I run a General Altimax 195-65-15 on my 1100 classic and love it. Obviously not for everybody but works great for me and I'll probably never go back to a MT. Good luck. Looks like they also like the Altimax-205-60-16, Dunlop-195-60-16, and others. Worth a look.
Appreciate that info. Thanks. How many miles does the CT last compared to the MT. My Classic only has around 4300 on it and the rear is easily half way there. ...with stock MT.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 01:08 PM

Some claim well over 20000 miles. All depends on riding style , tire model, and other factors. But all seem to at least double what you get out of most MT.

Sonysnek
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Some claim well over 20000 miles. All depends on riding style , tire model, and other factors. But all seem to at least double what you get out of most MT.
Thanks Sony. Hey Sony, I dont see any mention of radial vs. bias over there. Are you running a radial on your scooter?

Interesting that pretty much everyone is running the 195 which is 25 mm wider than stock. I'd like to go narrower than that. "Should" be less squirrely I would guess if narrower.

Definitely going to do this. I've been watching the debate for years...kind of like what oil do you use . LOL ! Will draw my own conclusions I just hope the mounting of the tire isnt too awefully bad. Been mounting my own tires for a while now and I hate it !!!

Thanks again for all your help.

2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasile View Post
...kind of like what oil do you use . .
Yeah, if people are debating whether to use an oil designed for internal combustion engines or olive oil, then, yeah, it's a lot like that.

Car tires are not designed to fit MC rims. Period. End of story. Never mind the difference that a car tire was not designed to ride on the sidewall. That guys get away with it is a testament to the quality of modern rubber and how it can be used for something it wasn't designed for.

But, hey, to each his own!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Hey "J". I'm runnin radial tire. Most seem to, but not too much difference from what info I've gathered. You may want to look at tirerack.com for tire info. Lots of good links there to find what you're lookin for. I selected the 195 as I thought it might be a little more stable. My opinion is that it works. At least for me. Might try to see if a 205 will fit next time as I like that big tire look. Tire is kinda of a bitch to mount and get sealed initially. I mount my own tires also. And I used tire balance beads so everything runs nice and smooth. Good luck and check out "The Darkside". Lots of good info there and people willing to share experiences.

Sonysnek
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-23-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Hey "J". I'm runnin radial tire. Most seem to, but not too much difference from what info I've gathered. You may want to look at tirerack.com for tire info. Lots of good links there to find what you're lookin for. I selected the 195 as I thought it might be a little more stable. My opinion is that it works. At least for me. Might try to see if a 205 will fit next time as I like that big tire look. Tire is kinda of a bitch to mount and get sealed initially. I mount my own tires also. And I used tire balance beads so everything runs nice and smooth. Good luck and check out "The Darkside". Lots of good info there and people willing to share experiences.
Thanks again. I'll check that site out too. Yup, I figured this would be a good application for Dyna beads or equivalent. I already signed up for the Darkside, the delphi forum yesterday. Nice resource there.

I know I had one MC tire on my 99 Victory that for whatever reason was a bitch to get seated. I ended up putting a ratchet strap around the radius and cranked her down. It then seated nicely. I suppose I can try that with the car tire too. Worse comes to worse I'll take it to an independent.

It'll be a while before I do this. Probably mid summer. I look forward to evaluating the differences in handling. I dont expect it to handle better, but as long as its reasonably good and I can still lean the bike aggressively I'll be a happy camper. If not, I'll abandon the idea but from those I've talked to that have done it, it sounds like its worth a try fer sher. Thanks again for the help, Sony.

2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode