Shinko tires - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 08:34 AM Thread Starter

Shinko tires

I know, not another tire question... I searched but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for...

Has anyone tried the Shinko brand of tires? They are inexpensive tires, with good to great reviews. I'm looking at a set of the 777 WWW for my Vstar 1100. I'm concerned with performance, and the number of miles I can expect from them.

Thanks.

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado...
Current Mods
Driving Lights
Crash Bar
Driver Backrest
Throttle lock
Seats modded by Mean City Cycles
Passenger floorboards
SENA headsets
Roadhouse Moto Classics slip-on exhaust
Running on Shinko 777, wide white wall tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
I have never heard of that brand of tire so I did some digging.

In the United States Shinko Tires are imported by Western Power Sports, Inc. (WPS), with corporate headquarters in Boise, Idaho. With a strong foothold on the power sports market, and with warehouses located in Boise, Idaho; Fresno, California; and Memphis, Tennessee, Shinko Tires USA-in conjunction with WPS-is proud to bring you the Shinko line of Sportbike, Cruiser, Scooter, Off road, and Dual sport tires.

On going testing in the USA and R & D at Shinko Tire's factory means a continuous path of exciting tires to meet the need of today's riders. Shinko Tires and WPS are here to serve your needs.

Established in 1946, the Shinko Group began as a manufacturer of bicycle tires and tubes in Osaka, Japan that today has become a burgeoning manufacture of rubber products.

In 1998 the Shinko Group purchased the motorcycle tire technology and molds from Yokohama Rubber Co., and began production of these products under the Shinko Tire brand. With manufacturing based in South Korea and design based in Japan, the company has seamlessly combined Japanese engineering and design principles with South Korean production and quality control standards. Today Shinko Tires produces approximately 200,000 motorcycle tires per

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM

my best buddy has a Vmax and loves Shinko tires, he gets good use out of them and i'll probably buy from them as well when my tires need it so that i can give a good review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM

I also contemplated this brand a while. $124.00 shipped free from Ebay for my size. Quality and longevity made me nervous, so I spent the $200 for a Metzeler to match what I had previously. Bike came to me with Metzeler's on so I'll keep em. No idea what mileage I'll get. Bought used. My first new tire. I also was enlightened by reviews but was still a bit nervous about the Shenko. Good luck.

2003 V Star 1100 Custom
My Trixie has:
Corbin seat
Tons of Kuryakyn chrome accy's
Vance and Hines Classics exhaust
SS Chubby pod kit
Barnett clutch
Blue L.E.D's
Custom aluminum wheels
Hard bags/touring trunk w/quick release
National Cycle Switchblade windshield
Cycle Sounds Series 2 audio system
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

tire threads are fine (double meaning). moved thread to our tire specific forum
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the research and responses. I did know that they were using the molds and technology from Yokohama, but I'm still hesitant. I still keep seeing good to decent reviews. Yes some hate them and would never but them again, others love them and would buy nothing else.. You're always going to get opinions on both ends of the spectrum, but most reviews are positive. For the price of a set of Shinko 777 (www) I could get only one Metzler tire. My thoughts are with the technology coming from Yokohama, the inexpensive price, and the decent reviews, that unless I uncover something that changes my mind, I'm going to give the Shinko's a try. I'll be ordering them within the next month.

I'll post up results when I have something to report. Thanks again for the responses.

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado...
Current Mods
Driving Lights
Crash Bar
Driver Backrest
Throttle lock
Seats modded by Mean City Cycles
Passenger floorboards
SENA headsets
Roadhouse Moto Classics slip-on exhaust
Running on Shinko 777, wide white wall tires.

Last edited by eprovenzano; 02-20-2012 at 08:25 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 PM

In addition to my V-Star, I own several other bikes. Here's a pic of a set of Shinko 777's I recently installed on my Sportster. They handle really well, but I can't speak to their longevity. To me, the 19" front looks skinnier than the Dunlop that used to be on there and the 16" rear looks fatter than the previous tire, also a Dunlop. They are fairly inexpensive, but lots of folks like them. I suspect they will wear out pretty quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode