1st Flat Tire - 1/4 mile from the dealer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

1st Flat Tire - 1/4 mile from the dealer

I got a rear flat on my 650 today, Friday the 13th. However, I was 1/4 mile from the dealer and thought I was a lucky fella.. Got the bike to them and they said "We don't fix flat's" I said, well who does.. the answer was nobody... So I have a relatively new tire that is just done because of a flat? AND to top it off, replacement is $350 tire+labor

This is my very first flat ever on a bike. They had me over a barrel so to speak since they are the only motorcycle shop in town but I just wanted to know... Is this true? You don't fix a cycle flat, you just replace the tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:34 AM

Both the motorcycle makers and the tire makers will tell you the tire should be replaced. That is the official line. The usual caveat is to follow the official line, for your own safety. The shop will refuse to repair the tire for reasons of liability and insurance. Don't count on buying a tire off the Internet and having them install it, either, as many shops refuse to install a tire they didn't sell.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Charon, I was stuck paying it anyway as I had no other choice. They had just one tire brand and just one in my size and they are the only motorcycle shop so they have me. I just wanted to know if they were actually screwing me or just kind of screwing me.. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 10:53 AM

Garage
A flat tire on a bike is a not so good thing eh. Personally, I wouldn't even think of repairing it. Yeah it's costly but you only have two tires and if you ride with even just a smidgen of a doubt that it might let go, you're not enjoying the ride.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 01:28 PM

Motorcycle tire repairs are really only to get you to a shop to install a new tire.

I'm thinking the price seems high but I hate buying tires. So what do I know?

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Out of curiosity, does your bike have tubeless or tube-type tires? If tube-type, I personally would have found and removed whatever had made the tire go flat (probably a nail) and just replaced the tube. That's what I do on my own bikes. It still calls for removing the wheel and tire, and is a good bit of work.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 04:37 PM

Right, don't you have tubes? Spoked wheels should just need the tube replaced. Unless of course there was some gapping hole or rip in the actual tire. Was there any indication of what made it flat? Did you see a hole in anything?
Yup, motorcycle tire replacement is a racket. The dealer where I bought my 650 new doesn't even carry the tires for my bike, go figure. Not to mention they are so busy same day service would be a pipe dream. I tried to get an appt once and it was a full month out. Been going to the Honda dealer instead, faster service and cheaper labor rates. $60 per tire change instead of $100. Buy the tires online and bring them in, tubes too.

$350 for one tire and labor is very, very high. What tire did they put on it anyway? The most expensive one they could dig up?

Last edited by Dave; 03-13-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:56 PM

Beware of the nay-sayers. They will cost you money. 3 flats here. Two of them I plugged myself. Never had a problem on the combined 32K I logged on those repaired tires. . I'm fully confident riding on a plugged tire. ....because I have done it several times. The other tire I killed was so worn I replaced it...in my garage...with my handy-dandy HF tire changer.

Dont believe everything you read on a forum. The rich guys will tell you "throw money at it, it'll go away".

The money-less (like me) will tell you what I just told you. And my story is 100% true.

Choice is yours.

I guarantee there will be a crap storm from the yuppies here, but what I just said is absolutely true.

I wont respond to any of it because I have performed what I have preached.

But...its very cool that your tire decided to fail that close to a dealer !

Many thanks,

jb

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic

Last edited by jbasile; 03-13-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 PM

Garage
Well there you have it sw1911ct. Different experiences from different folks, some more righteous than others. Do you think you made the right decision? Because in the end that's all that matters.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasile View Post
Beware of the nay-sayers. They will cost you money. 3 flats here. Two of them I plugged myself. Never had a problem on the combined 32K I logged on those repaired tires.

i think what most of us are saying is that dealers and bike shops, the vast majority of them, will not fix a motorcycle tire for all the reasons stated. not that it can't be done.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode