Michelin tires.. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Question Michelin tires..

I took my bike to the dealer yesterday so they can perform a recall on it. While there I asked about a new front shoe. It's time, as I have just over 18,000 on it. He gave me a couple options and then pointed to this new Michelin Commander II, which Michelin claims nearly twice the mileage as compared to the ME880 and Dunlop 407. And it's only a few bucks more.

I didn't give them the knod to put one on, as I have to research everything first. But I think I like what I'm reading about this tire! These tests are done by a 3rd party and seem very credible. Right now size choices are somewhat limited, but they do make it for my 1300.

I think I'll be ordering one on Monday-- www.jakewilson.com has what I need, and it's $20 cheaper than the dealer!

2007 Vstar 1300 Tourer
Too many bolt-on goodies to remember!

Gone but not forgotten...

Memeber of the Black Bike Club -- Fastest Color Available!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 03-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Last sunday I got a flat going over a huge bridge here in Houston.
Yesterday I picked up my bike from the dealer with a new rear 200/55/17r CommanderII on it. $148 for the tire $38 to install and balance. Felt really good - didn't get to ride much because of the rain but feels great so far.
Dealer had to order a tire for me - he can't keep them in stock. I guess the words out.

2008 statoliner midnight
lindby multibar black engine guard
passenger floorboards
luggage rack
black handlebar risers
vance and hinds 2 to 1 exhaust
throttle lock
cell phone mount
scala rider
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvtongdvl View Post
Last sunday I got a flat going over a huge bridge here in Houston.
Yesterday I picked up my bike from the dealer with a new rear 200/55/17r CommanderII on it. $148 for the tire $38 to install and balance. Felt really good - didn't get to ride much because of the rain but feels great so far.
Dealer had to order a tire for me - he can't keep them in stock. I guess the words out.
That seems like a good price! I may try that on my 1100 if I can find one. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Well its been a month and 600 miles. Feels great and looks like brand new so far.
Still early though, worth a try KC!

2008 statoliner midnight
lindby multibar black engine guard
passenger floorboards
luggage rack
black handlebar risers
vance and hinds 2 to 1 exhaust
throttle lock
cell phone mount
scala rider
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM

I have 4000 miles on my Michelin Commander II on the rear of the Strat now. Going to be lucky to get 6K out of it. The tire is no better than any other tire on the Strats!!

Stratoliners/Roadliners have way more HP & Torque than the HD Electra Glide Michelin used for testing and hype for advertisement claims. No increase in mileage for us!!

MDSR

"ride to live"
'06 Stratoliner "S", '02 HD Heritage Softail
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2012, 05:49 PM

Just ordered a Commander II for the rear of my 950. I'm pretty sure I won't have the HP & torque issues the Strats have!
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM

I know they are saying that they get more mileage, but if they are like the first commander they came out with you will feel everything in the road, I have a friend that is testing some on a custom bike sense he got them for free from the factory, he said so far they seem ok but the ride is alot rougher with the hardened compound on the commander 2.

New owner of 2007 V-Star 1100 Silverado

Joshua 24:15
15And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM

Garage
Commander II

Bought a set for my 950 V Star on Thursday. So far they're doing pretty good. Started at 24500 miles and just past 25000. First of all, right after installation I didn't have the same touchy feeling as I did when I went to the Metzlers, felt like I was riding on marbles the first 400 miles with the Metz's, the Michelins felt good leaving the shop. I will keep posting to see if I get the mileage they claim - Got 14000 out of the 880's, if I can get 28000 out of the Michelin tires, I'll be very impressed.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdikesr View Post
I have 4000 miles on my Michelin Commander II on the rear of the Strat now. Going to be lucky to get 6K out of it. The tire is no better than any other tire on the Strats!!
Stratoliners/Roadliners have way more HP & Torque than the HD Electra Glide Michelin used for testing and hype for advertisement claims. No increase in mileage for us!!
Im kind of glad I ran into this post and cant wait for results (which will be years) from people with lighter bikes like the 1300.
I have heard some compliants about the Commander IIs as well. Such as being hard and also some kind of "harmonic vibration" at certain speeds. Most love them though.

Bottom line for me though is last I checked, they do not make a direct replacement for the 1300. Meaning I wanted the exact fit as called for by Yamaha and not settle for a size made for Harleys.
Anyway, for the time being, I just put on pair of Bridgestone Exedra MAX. The Maxs are supposed to be a little more long wearing the the old Exedras but no claims like the Commander II is making.

Thats ok though, I wanted and exact replacement size and Exedra Max had it, also at $248 For both tires delivered to my house I will hope and pray if I can just get 10 or 12 k out of them I would be thrilled.

I will say this, been riding quite a bit on them since being installed 2 weeks ago. I love them, never had such a well controlled feeling ride, very responsive, requires light input from the rider and really feel comfortable leaning further then I ever did into turns, in fact just naturally. With that said, I almost threw myself off the bike when I first had the tires mounted!!
Picked up the bike, for fun I was swerving s shaped out of the parking lot, feeling the reaction of the tires, holy crap, they were so responsive I almost threw myself off the bike!!! Scared the crap out of me, never felt tires like this and after a brief period of less then 100 miles it became second nature to get used to them, man, Im just amazed, now if they just last a little longer, I will be sold on these tires, right now, all I can say is flawless handling on my bike.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 06-25-2012 at 10:43 AM.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarmguy View Post
For both tires delivered to my house I will hope and pray if I can just get 10 or 12 k out of them I would be thrilled.
I think you'll be happy. The Exedras are what came on my 950 when it was new, and I just replaced the rear tire last month after getting about 13,000 miles on the original. The front tire's still going strong.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode