950 Tire question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
950 Tire question

Hi there,

I bought a 2012 950 Tourer last summer that had 3600 miles on it, and I'm about to roll 8000. I'm heading out on my first long distance trip from Ann Arbor to Omaha and am wondering if I need to get new tires before I go. There is still plenty of tread (I'm not even close to seeing the wear bars,) but the tires are factory originals. I'm a fairly conservative rider and not on the highway too much. I usually don't ride in the rain unless I can't help it.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

the stock bridgestone rear tire on the early 950s had a lifespan of about 8k miles. not sure which year Yamaha started putting Dunlops on them, and not sure of those lifespans, but i'm guessing it's pretty similar. how are you checking the tread? are you sure you're looking at the wear indicators correctly? how well are the tires gripping the road? any bald spots? do you see any cracking on either tire? how well is each holding air pressure? regardless of the mileage, they are now 3 years old and i'm guessing the rubber is significantly harder now than it used to be. motorcycle tires in general do not 'last' as long as car tires no matter how few miles you put on them.

my advice would be to have an expert, mechanic, or someone who's pretty familiar with bikes to have a look. you could take it to a dealership, but they're main focus is to make money.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'm checking the tread with a penny and it's over Lincoln's head. They may not be factory tires, they are Dunlop's. No, I'm not sure I'm looking at the wear indicators correctly....I haven't had any issues gripping the road, no peel outs or fish tailing...pressure is steady. The nearest dealer/service shop to check the tires is about an hour away. There was a place in town but they closed. Looks like I'm heading to the service shop on Monday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

with tires it's better to be safe than sorry. most tires, at least rear tires, get replaced every year or 2. the front tires, on average, last about twice as long as the rear.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I read somewhere, I can't remember where, but it said to always change both tires at the same time. Is it OK to just change the rear and wait on the front?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 07:43 PM

Garage
Bakerman,
Yes it's ok to change the rear w/o changing the front at the same time as long as your front still has plenty of tread and no dry rotting. When I had my 650 classic, I changed out two rears to one front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode