Not a typical tire queation - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Not a typical tire queation

So here is something I have wondered about for years and for the life of me cannot find the answer. For the sake of time here I am going to assume we all understand about tire grooves and treads and how their patterns make a tire directional.
We all know that every street motorcycle has directional tires on them. (At least everyone I have ever seen) So can anyone explain to me why a motorcycle is the only vehicle on the rd whose front tire, while labeled directional, has the grooves turned the opposite direction of the rear tire and every other directional tire manufactured?
I'm sure I am not the first person to ever notice this but no one seems to have an answer. I have asked dealers, parts guys, and mechanics. All seem to be as clueless as me if not more so. Some had never even noticed.

If you have never noticed or paid any attention to it walk out to your bike and take a look. The rear tire grooves are positioned so that during rotation the leading edges of the grooves are in the center of the tire and push water outward. The front is exactly opposite, the leading edges are towards the outside of the tire.

Bike tires have been made this way for years so it is obviously something more than what I am visually seeing but I would just like to know WHY.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 06-06-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 AM

It is designed that way to give you more bite and more water evacuation when in a turn. BTW the back tire grooves on my Exedras are not straight from the center out. They turn on the outer edge similar to the direction on the front tires. Also not all motorcycle tires are as you describe. Another mystery of the mind. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 06-06-2015 at 09:03 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-06-2015, 01:19 PM

The back tire is designed for better performance while accelerating. The front tire is designed for better performance while decelerating. I cannot confirm it but it would seem reasonable that the treads would be different as a result. This discussion has come up before when talking about using rear tires on the front. I don't remember which forum.

Edit: On second thought, after looking at my tires, it looks as if the tires are designed to channel water while the bike is leaning and the tread looks perfectly suited to do so designed this way. +1 commonground.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 06-06-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode