OK, can we talk tires? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

OK, can we talk tires?

So, a few months ago I went to my dealer and got prices for my 950. Now my tires are getting REALLY tired so it is decision time. Dunlop is $380; Shinko is $270; Bridgestone is $440. I believe he said that mounting would then be about $100. I ride (commuting mostly) seasonally - about 7k per year. So what do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:02 AM

If I remember right, I went with the Dunlop D404 for mine. They aren't the most expensive tires, but they seem fine to me. Those are under $100 each. Maybe someone else can chime in on higher end tires. Some dealers will price match with online suppliers, like motorcycle-superstore.com.

$100 to mount both tires? Often times if you take the wheels off at home and bring them in yourself, mounting fees will be cheaper. It's about $40 per tire here if I bring in the wheel, and $80 per tire if I bring in the whole bike and let them remove the wheel.

2009 V Star 650 Custom Midnight
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:29 AM

Those prices sound reasonable if you are buying both front and rear tires. I purchased a new Avon rear tire at a local independent shop. The tire cost $213 and mounting was $30. They removed and reinstalled. My motorcycle is a 1300 deluxe.

So if you are talking about both tires, your prices are about right.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Yup, talkin' about both tires...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 12:34 PM

I would do some online shopping before I gave anyone my money. Also shop around for installation prices if you have your own tire. I just went to motorcyclesuperstore.com for the heck of it and looked up a 170/70-16 (which is what they say is your OE tire size). Most expensive tire listed on the page in that size is $256. Bridgestone Exedra is $149.99.
Just some food for thought.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:01 PM

my 2 cents.

I bought a Dunlop and changed it myself. I worked in a automotive tire shop for a while in school about 30 years ago. I would not do it again like that. I took a pic of the lines on the belt adjustment so I would know where to put it back. When I pulled the axle, spacers fell out. Notice where they come from. Take the pulley off, lots of rubber spacers. I used a HF tire changer to break the bead. I used lashing straps to pull the beads together. That tire is really stiff. I balanced it by using the axle through the wheel and on a couple of jack stands. I bought stick on weights at napa. It took me about 4 hours from the time I started to the time I was ready to ride again
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 01:11 PM

I went online for a set of Michellin Commander II's. Got it from Jake Wilson for $290 shipped.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 03:17 PM

In my experience the Dunlop D404's don't have very long life and I am not a super aggressive rider as I mostly just commute. I put on some Metzeler 888's and they are amazing compared to the Dunlops. I have had the Metzelers in the wet twice so far and they handle very well.

2001 V Star 1100 Classic
Black Kuryakyn Hypercharger
Baron AIS Delete
Carbs Jetted
HID Headlight
Passing Lamps
Highway Pegs

V Star 1100 Knowledge Base

KK6UWI
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Garage
I just bought a set of Shinko 777HD from motorcycle-superstore for $193 and they look and ride great. Very smooth ride and they grip the road well in the rain. I can't speak on the wear because I just got them in April but I'm satisfied so far.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

i just replaced my Dunlop Elite 3's both front and back after close to 3 yrs/30K miles on each. price of both is about $400. here is a photo of the rear tire at about the 2 yr/20K mile mark i took last year:

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode