Anyone mount and balance their own tires? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Anyone mount and balance their own tires?

It's time for a new rear tire for my 950, and I'm wondering whether I can reasonably expect to do a good job of mounting and balancing it myself. One of the books I've got says that static balancing is as effective as dynamic balancing, just that it takes longer. Anyone have experience with that? Is it true?

I'm a little skittish about doing something myself that's so critical to safety, but if it's something that I could do well myself - especially if it means I don't have to hand money over to the crappy, crappy dealer here in town - then I'd give it a shot. I think I can pick up a static balancer for not too much money.

Charter member, Greatest Bike in the History of the World Club

The Caliente Rocket is a 2009 V-Star 950
- Cobra Speedster exhaust
- Mustang Daytripper seat
- Memphis Shades windshield, sometimes
- Hardstreet Classic Tour Saddlebags

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 PM

Location: rainy side of washington state now reside in Blackfoot,Idaho
I dismount and remount my tires because I have access to a tire machine at work. But the balance machine won't work on motorcycle wheels.So I take them in for balancing.I have heard you can static balance a tire to a nats arse.If it's cheap I would pick one up. You may have to work at it a while to get it right.

2007 Stratoliner S
Reckless batwing
Sony am/fm cd mp3 4 speakers w/500 watt amp,8in sub
12 inch ape hanger bars
Roadhouse slip on exhaust
K&N air filter with lid mod
Cobra Fi2000 powrpro auto tuner
Kuryakyn mustache bar
Corbin low profile solo seat
LED running lights front and rear
21 inch chrome raider front wheel
200 tire on the rear
113 Hd eating tire smoking cubic inches
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Good enough for me, I'm going to go for it. Harbor freight's got a static balancer for $50, and it's pretty well reviewed. In the end this will cost me a little more than getting it done at the dealer, but as always, I'll have the tools to do it again, and I'll save a ton of money next time.

Of course, now that I've got Cobra pipes on there instead of the stock muffler, I may have to drop the whole exhaust to get at the swingarm. Wish me luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Have you contacted your local dealer about prices to mount and balance? The dealer by me charged 40 bucks per tire for a mount and balance. That was with me removing the wheels and bringing them in and the new tires. To me the money was well worth not having to get the tools to do the job and then store them, also to not have to risk damaging the wheel or the new tire doing the guesswork to do it the first time.

When you order your balancer don't forget tire spoons and some wheel protectors.

BLUE BIKE CLUB

Last edited by dr_fosg8; 04-28-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: addition
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 02:39 PM

Dyna beads son, Dyna beads
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
Have you contacted your local dealer about prices to mount and balance?
Yeah, I have. They quoted me about the same, but they charge me $20 more if I buy the tire somewhere else and bring it in. And then the dealer says that they match prices, but when I told them the price for my tire at motorcycle-superstore, they said they'd match to $20 above the online price because that way, it's a wash. ($128 to buy the tire online + $60 to mount it, or $148 to buy it at the dealer + $40 to mount it.) That's the same kind of crap this dealer pulls all the time, and part of the reason I hate them so much. That's why I'll drive 30 miles to J&P Cycles to buy my engine oil instead of getting it here in town: just to avoid giving my money to the dealer when I don't have to.

I'm not worried about mounting the tire at all. I expect that this will be a fair amount of work and take me the better part of a day. All I'm concerned with is that the end result is good. If I can spend an hour and a half balancing one tire and have it end up balanced as well as the dealer can do in five minutes, then it's worth my time. Plus, I take some pride in doing as much of my own maintenance as I can manage. If I learn something from it, even better.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 PM

I agree with DYNA118. I was a bit skeptical at first but decided to give it a try and have been using them for the last 2 years and love them. 3oz bag should work perfect for the rear and 2oz for the front. Ive had it to 125 mph and not a bit of vibration. smooth as silk.

SMELL MY FINGER

RED BIKE CLUB It's Lonely At The Top
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 10:44 PM

+1 on those dyna beads
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 AM

Dyna beads all the way!!!! I have used them on a previous m109r, 2xhayabusa and now the vstar. I love them!!!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliente Pocket View Post
Yeah, I have. They quoted me about the same, but they charge me $20 more if I buy the tire somewhere else and bring it in. And then the dealer says that they match prices, but when I told them the price for my tire at motorcycle-superstore, they said they'd match to $20 above the online price because that way, it's a wash. ($128 to buy the tire online + $60 to mount it, or $148 to buy it at the dealer + $40 to mount it.) That's the same kind of crap this dealer pulls all the time, and part of the reason I hate them so much. That's why I'll drive 30 miles to J&P Cycles to buy my engine oil instead of getting it here in town: just to avoid giving my money to the dealer when I don't have to.

I'm not worried about mounting the tire at all. I expect that this will be a fair amount of work and take me the better part of a day. All I'm concerned with is that the end result is good. If I can spend an hour and a half balancing one tire and have it end up balanced as well as the dealer can do in five minutes, then it's worth my time. Plus, I take some pride in doing as much of my own maintenance as I can manage. If I learn something from it, even better.
It won't take you long to get the balancing down pat. I just replaced the stock Dunlops on my '09 Stratoliner with new Bridgestone Exedras and each wheel/tire combo only took about 3/4 ounce of weight to balance. I've owned the No Mar "Cycle Hill" home tire changer/balancer set up for three years and it has more than paid for itself.

You can review this video for use with the Harbor Freight or No Mar static balancer.

http://www.nomartirechanger.com/video/show/29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode