Tire Changer - Harbor Freight? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire Changer - Harbor Freight?

Looking for a better solution than squatting on the floor with irons and such.

Wanting to buy a tire changer at moderate price (i.e. not some $5,000 super machine). See Harbor Freight has one here: http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ent-60810.html

Anyone have any experience with that or similar items, or have recommendations.

I can't even quite tell if it DOES anything but hold the tire up so it's easier to get at with irons, etc. Does it do anything to unmount a tire? Or just hold it?

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 AM

That is a motorcycle tire changer ATTACHMENT. You need the tire changer, too, which is another $39.99. See the shaded area in the pictures? That's the part you aren't getting. This is the link for it. http://www.harborfreight.com/Manual-...ger-69686.html

And here's a handy dandy video of a car tire being changed with it. MCs are similar and use the attachment.

https://youtu.be/_J_2SD-snd0

It's a little flimsy, but, if you know the flimsy parts (like the bead breaker) you can operate it safely. Also, you don't see it unless you look close, but that guy scratched the hell out of the rim putting the new tire on.

Edit: Here's a motorcycle change video of a modified Harbor Freight motorcycle changer. https://youtu.be/1y__tB6_rRM

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 08-15-2015 at 08:03 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, Sparkn. I did realize the link was just the attachment, but better safe than sorry!

Thanks for the video link, VERY helpful indeed!

KC

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:56 PM

No problem. In case you missed it, the second video mentions the nomar bar. Very helpful preventing rim scratches. Why painted bars are even used on anything but a lawn mower is beyond me. Maybe it's to sell more edge protectors.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Again, thanks. I did miss that in the 2nd video. Was all planning out how to wrap with duct tape and such. Will go take a look.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 10:26 PM

Garage
After I found out that the cheapest place near me to get tires mounted and balanced was $125 per bike, I tried to talk my wife into letting me buy a tire changer and balancer. Obviously she said no due to my lack of patience and handiness when working on vehicles. I still think it's a good business decision to be able to do tire changes cheaper than the local shops and do it while the person waits and not have them wait 2+ days.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 07:48 AM

Sometimes I think I should buy the professional tools and open a maintenance shop just for the mundane things we should be able to get taken care of on the fly. You should never have to drop off a bike for an oil or tire change. I remember in the Navy on base you could rent a stall and tools and do it yourself. There was even an "expert" on hand to give you a hand. I know they're out there (like Self Serve Garage), but I've yet to live in an area that has a garage like this.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar

Last edited by sparkn; 08-16-2015 at 07:50 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkn View Post
Sometimes I think I should buy the professional tools and open a maintenance shop just for the mundane things we should be able to get taken care of on the fly. You should never have to drop off a bike for an oil or tire change. I remember in the Navy on base you could rent a stall and tools and do it yourself. There was even an "expert" on hand to give you a hand. I know they're out there (like Self Serve Garage), but I've yet to live in an area that has a garage like this.
LOL. That's pretty much exactly what I did... Went from jeweler to motorcycles in part 'cuz I was buying all the stuff anyway. And I'm generally a sucker for "spend the money to get the good stuff"... Problem is tire-changers seem to jump from $80 setups like the HF one right to $4,000+ "pro" units. We don't do enough tires to justify the full-on one.

Yeah, being able to run down to the local mechanic and just get some advice seems a thing of the past. Bit of a "Mayberry is no more" thing.

OTOH, we have a few 'regulars' that like to drop by and shoot the breeze, and when they want advice we do give it. But it's 90% "I'm bored and just want to yak about bikes." That part we also do, but we have to keep under control: The customer who doesn't get the part they want on time because Jim came by to BS for a while won't accept that excuse.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 PM

I have that exact tire changer. Its not the greatest, but the bead breaker is excellent. You will change tires with it successfully. Patience....you've got to be patient. Changing tires is a total pain in the ass, but I'll continue to do it. It helps keep down the cost of being in the wind.

2008 Harley FLHTCU Electraglide
2008 V-Star 1100 Classic
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Get online and check out the NO-MAR Cycle hill tire changer and watch all their how to videos.I have one and I love it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode