Anyone running Dunlop Elite 3's? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Anyone running Dunlop Elite 3's?

I just put a set of the elite 3's on my 950 and I have to say I'm not real impressed so far. The feel kind of tippy when leaning into a curve. I noticed the mech had over inflated them to 40 front 44 rear so I dropped the pressure down to what's on the sticker hoping that would help, but no joy. I've only put about 30 miles on them so far and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I was hoping for a lot more. I know Bevo said he has run E-3's with good results, is anyone else experiencing this?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:13 PM

Garage
my 650 came new with dunny 404s on it, they started cupping almost immediately i ran them at 36 front 40 rear. all dunlop tires seem to soft to me. went metzler 880s those seem to get old before they wear out. dunlop feels to grabby and noisy for me. i think availability is limited on the 1300 and 950 because of the sizes there's only a few manufactures that carry 1300 sizes i think the 950 has the same issue

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.starbikeforums.com/forums...-elite-3s.html

not sure what you mean by "tippy". btw, i inflate mine to 35 front, 38 rear. which is 2psi more than the owner manual's recommendations for the stock bridgestone tires. not sure what's on the "sticker" and i just looked at my front tire and couldn't find a number.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:07 PM

That link Bevo took me to IMS show information??

2014 Stratoliner Deluxe

A determined soul will do more with a rusty monkey wrench than a loafer will accomplish with all the tools in a machine shop. - Robert Hughes
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey Bevo, by tippy I mean that the bike felt like it wanted to tip over. Strange I know, but that was the sensation I was experiencing.

I took it back out this evening and I believe I'm starting to get used to them and I realized that these tires seem to allow the bike to initiate a lean more quickly than the bridgestones I was running and it feels like they turn quicker. That is to say that they appear to allow me to make a tighter radius turn than my previous tires would at the same angle of lean. They just seem to perform better in the turns and that took some getting used to. I think I'm really going to like them!

I haven't noticed any of the excess noise mentioned and it's to early to see any cupping or whatnot.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:55 AM

Garage
i think tippy means when the bike kinda falls into turns. certain tread patterns exasperate this phenomena as do extreme rakes like on old style choppers.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly it Pauli466! I wish I could have explained it that simply. Like I said, I'm getting used to it now, but it was pretty disconcerting at first.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM

Garage
thanks i think any new tire takes time to get used to. even when not switching brands also handling characteristics change as the tire wears, we just don't notice because it happens slowly.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Agreed. When I put a new Bridgestone on the rear last time it was a little different but the handling was so similar that there really wasn't a period of getting used to it. It was just better.

I bought the E-3's based on reviews and the fact that they are supposed to be so much better in the curves and on wet pavement. Well, it's a different design, with different strengths so of course it feels different because it is. I'm glad I got them and am looking forward to getting some seat time enjoying the way these fall into the twisties.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:57 PM

E3s are what came stock on my Cross Country. They work well on a touring bike. I will be switching that bike to Avons next to try them out.

My Vstar 650 came with Dunlops on them. I switched to Metzlers. The Metzlers were good on perfect days. But any bit of moisture, from rain, a sprinkler, anything, they would get squirrelly. The Dunlops were much better in wet conditions. I am experiencing good rain grip with the E3s on my Cross Country also.

However, having made my 650 a bobber and putting on the new Metzlers 880 white walls, they have more grip than the older Metzlers had. They are better with moisture but still not as good as Dunlop.

2000 Yamaha Vstar Classic 650
2013 Victory Cross Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode