Quick tire question. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quick tire question.

So my Vstar 1300 is looking like it needs new tires. The last time I bought tires I got the Metzler 880s for my boulevard. They were good tires but I realized that my bike seem to track in grooves more so than before. Is this possible? Could different tires have different sort of a track feel when you ride over grooves in the pavement. Or was it my imagination? I would buy Metzler 880s for this bike however I will take any other recommendations if anyone else has a similar experience. Thanks.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 AM

Wow, I was just about to open a similar thread about this. I have a 2008 vstar 650 custom and I am running Dunlop 404f in the front and Bridgestone Excedra 546 in the back. I still have about half life left on the fronts, but the rears are bald. I am torn as to which tire to go with for the rear and have seen many recommendations for the Metz's that you mentioned.

Right now I am looking at the following:

Metzeller 880
Pirelli MT 66
Dunlop 404 (to match the front)
Michellin Commander II

My bridgestones skid out too many times while braking and in turns to the point where I almost relocated the contents of my bowels so I'd say avoid those. I'd like something with decent life and better traction.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 12:30 PM

What's the widest rear tire you can put on these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelwin View Post
So my Vstar 1300 is looking like it needs new tires. The last time I bought tires I got the Metzler 880s for my boulevard. They were good tires but I realized that my bike seem to track in grooves more so than before. Is this possible? Could different tires have different sort of a track feel when you ride over grooves in the pavement. Or was it my imagination? I would buy Metzler 880s for this bike however I will take any other recommendations if anyone else has a similar experience. Thanks.
Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
IT IS NOT YOUR IMAGINATION!
Without question, there is a big difference on how some tires handle the grooves in the road, including those grated metal roads on some bridges.
I just replaced the tires on my 1300, put new front and rear on it. Grooves in the road, heck with these tires you will barely notice a thing.
I LOVE them. No way to know how long they will last, they came out around the start of 2011 or end of 2010
$240.00 delivered to my door by motorcycle super store. They are supposed to be an improved version of the Exedra, be careful, they still sell the Exedra I think, these are the Exedra MAX.

I got the EXACT replacement size for the 1300.
The tires I bought are the Exedra MAX Bias Ply tires. (not radials, Bias)
VERY responsive, in fact drive carefully the first 100 miles.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 08-06-2012 at 02:38 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Garage
I have to agree with Mr. Alarm. I went from the Metzler 880 to the Michelin commander II and saw a great deal of improvement. The Fuel economy went up 4 mpg and it rides sooo much better. I changed from the stock Dunlap to the Metzler and it felt like I was riding on marbles for the first 400 miles before either I got used to it or they got broken in. With the Commander II's I got on apprehensively and took off really amazed. Just to be fair, I've heard good things about the Exedra Max also and I can't complain about getting 14000 from the Metzler

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

The revzilla videos seemed to prefer the commander II over the exedra. Might be my choice.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayelwin View Post
The revzilla videos seemed to prefer the commander II over the exedra. Might be my choice.
Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
Just be careful and listen to comments from people who use the product (riders) then stores like revzilla that are selling you the product.
The guy doing the so called review is only repeating the advertising verbiage of the companies and is a salesperson. He has never rode on any of those tires and only has everything to gain if you buy products from the store he works for. Im sure the Commander II will live up to expectations as I hope the MAX does but only time will tell.
Just remember with the Commander II, as of a month ago, if you have a Vstar 1300 you will be squeezing on a size made for a Harley since they do not make the OEM size for the Vstar 1300 yet.
Also listen to the real reviews of SOME very few Vstar 1300 riders that complain of a harmonic vibration in the tire at high speeds.
Im just saying, do your homework, read from people who have the tires and disregard the marketing until it is proven to be true.
I cant imagine it not being true, for me though, I wanted the right size tire on the bike and didnt want to compromise.
oldfart likes this.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonydtiger1971 View Post
I have to agree with Mr. Alarm. I went from the Metzler 880 to the Michelin commander II and saw a great deal of improvement. The Fuel economy went up 4 mpg and it rides sooo much better. I changed from the stock Dunlap to the Metzler and it felt like I was riding on marbles for the first 400 miles before either I got used to it or they got broken in. With the Commander II's I got on apprehensively and took off really amazed. Just to be fair, I've heard good things about the Exedra Max also and I can't complain about getting 14000 from the Metzler
What bike do you have?
I do think, heck I am hoping the Commander II turns out to be a long wearing tire. But am curious about your bike because as of a month ago Commander didnt make a size for the 1300.
I have a feeling based on your comments its not a 1300 only because the 1300 also KILLS Metzler 880's on the rear. I mean, some are lucky to get 6000 miles on them, I personally blew through one on the rear in the same mileage, I think they are highly over rated. First time I ever had one, only cause the bike came with it, never will again.

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast_tyrant View Post
Wow,...
Right now I am looking at the following:

Metzeller 880
Pirelli MT 66
Dunlop 404 (to match the front)
Michellin Commander II
I had Pirelli MT 66's front and rear on a Suzuki C50.
I loved them, another great tire that ignored grooves in the road, though I have to admit I like the Exedra Max I have on the 1300 more, simply because they are firm and the 1300 a heavy bike.

I dont know how long the MT66 will last though because less then 5 months after putting them on a whim almost, I ended up trading the bike for the 1300 *L*

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-07-2012, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Excedra Max, I had never heard of them. And as for the Metzler's, I hear so much about them that I too have wondered if they were overrated. I mean, there are so many other great tires out there but everyone keeps pushing Metz like they are the end-all-be-all of tires, but I don't know what to think as I have never tried them. I just hate to ignore the other ones that might be great just because everyone else is buying a certain brand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode