Could I have my 18" 1100 wheel relaced up to a 21" - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Could I have my 18" 1100 wheel relaced up to a 21"

Just curious, I'm wanting a 21" front on my 1100. So I'm wondering if I can have my 18" redone or should I do a Harley conversion. Any shops out there that do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 AM

Garage
A lot of shop's sale a 21" for v star right off the shelf. Ain't cheep.
I think Sick Mick can tell you about the HD 21" change over. Cheeper.
V1100km and V1100km like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM

i did a harley 21" wheel. im in at under $400 counting the tire and powdercoat. i also over paid on the axle machining cause they were the only guys around to do it on short notice. its really pretty easy. just follow the KB.

[IMG][/IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh baker View Post
i did a harley 21" wheel. im in at under $400 counting the tire and powdercoat. i also over paid on the axle machining cause they were the only guys around to do it on short notice. its really pretty easy. just follow the KB.

[IMG][/IMG]
What did your wheel come off? I found a few HD softtail 21" takeoff wheels for about $100 with a good tire. And axles on eBay with retry cheap.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Could I have my 18" 1100 wheel relaced up to a 21"

Josh baker that looks really good👍 I want to do the same to my 1300. What's involved with replacing a stock front tire to a 21" HD tire

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstarjoe View Post
Josh baker that looks really good👍 I want to do the same to my 1300. What's involved with replacing a stock front tire to a 21" HD tire

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Here's a link to the how to on a 1100. Should be pretty well the same minus what axle you'd need.
I have different idea I want to try as far as trying to retain my stock axle instead an HD.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...cations/wheels
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1100km View Post
Just curious, I'm wanting a 21" front on my 1100. So I'm wondering if I can have my 18" redone or should I do a Harley conversion. Any shops out there that do this.
You may have trouble finding a rim with the right spoke count/spacing unless you have it custom made. I haven't checked prices for that lately, but it used to be pretty expensive.

Follow that link above....I did the write-up in the wKB on the process and have seen it done a couple other ways as well. But the method shown is tried and true.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
You may have trouble finding a rim with the right spoke count/spacing unless you have it custom made. I haven't checked prices for that lately, but it used to be pretty expensive.

Follow that link above....I did the write-up in the wKB on the process and have seen it done a couple other ways as well. But the method shown is tried and true.
That's my palm to do a Harley 21" swap on mine. But instead of the 3/4 shaft part my plan is to go up to 1" bearings(3/4",1", 25mm all interchangeable) and have 2 bearing reducers made to go from 1" done to 17mm so i can retain my stock axle. Just gotta find a nice wheel for a fair price.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 06:30 PM

thanks. my wheel came from a soft tail i believe. i unlaced it, had the spokes powder coated black, polished the rim and hub, and re-laced it myself. i gave $60 for the wheel on craigslist. i got the axle and spacers from ebay. planning on a different harley rotor soon.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1100km View Post
That's my palm to do a Harley 21" swap on mine. But instead of the 3/4 shaft part my plan is to go up to 1" bearings(3/4",1", 25mm all interchangeable) and have 2 bearing reducers made to go from 1" done to 17mm so i can retain my stock axle. Just gotta find a nice wheel for a fair price.
I'm running a 3/4" to 17mm spacer on mine right now. Only have about 5,000 miles on it....so no idea of long term service life yet.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode