V Star 950 | Tire cracks? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

V Star 950 | Tire cracks?

Hey folks,

I have a 2011 V Star 950 with only about 3K miles, but I noticed a few cracks along the sidewalls when I was putting it away for the winter.

As you can see, there is a lot of tread left but I am still worried about the age of the tires as well as the temperature extremes they have lived in (upstate NY and Texas).

Should I be proactive and just change out the tires this summer? Also, has anyone used these tires on their 950T?

Elite 3: 130/90B-16 (front)
&
Elite 3: 180/70HR-16 (rear)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1456626898906.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	55634   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1456626918500.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	55642   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1456626935502.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	55650  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 05:13 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by debot View Post
but I am still worried about the age of the tires. Should I be proactive and just change out the tires this summer?
I think you have your answer on should eye. As for tires, no more miles than you ride a set of the cheaper brand
will grow old before the tread is gone

Change them tire's and ride more.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 07:51 AM

I really can't see anything in the pics you posted, they are too small.

Age is as important as wear on motorcycle tires....I copied this from the Motorcycle Superstore site...

"Checking the Born-On Date
Even if your tires are groovy with no uneven wear and plenty of tread, there is one more factor to consider, especially if you purchased a used bike with tires already on it. That factor is age. If you didn’t buy your tires or you can’t remember when you did, check for the production date. Among the numbers stamped on your sidewall, one of them indicates the “born-on date” for your tire. It won’t look like a standard date, but rather a simple three- or four-digit code like “4702.” The first two digits indicate the week the tire was made, and the last two digits indicate the year. For our example, that tire would have been made during the 47th week of 2002 (tires made prior to 2000 have only 1 digit for the year). The general rule-of-thumb is to avoid riding on a tire over six or seven years old. For example, if you see the number 1910, your tire isn’t really over 100 years old, it means it was born during the 19th week of 2010."

You bike may be a 2011....but if the tires were made in 2010 or even 2009, you are ready for new ones without question.

Other than that.....like mentioned above...use your eyes and remember that your life is at stake.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 09:19 AM

They are cracking on the bead. I would change them and next time ride it more so they are wore out instead of dry rot
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 10:11 AM

Not to belabor the fact, but...YES you should replace those tires and here's why: When you see cracks in the sidewall (no matter how small), it means they are dried out and they will not hold the road in a turn as well as a newer, softer tire. You risk having the tire(s) slide out from under you in a sharp turn. Don't ask me how I know.

Jeff
BLUE BIKE CLUB
2012 V-Star 950T-Impact Blue

Kuryakyn ISO grips
Back-Off taillight modulator
OEM passing lights
OEM luggage rack
OEM engine guards, saddlebag guards and trim rails
Marlin Talon gauges
Show Chrome Headlight & Passing Light visors
Mustang 2 piece wide touring seat with backrest/studs
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hey folks,

I have a 2011 V Star 950 with only about 3K miles, but I noticed a few cracks along the sidewalls when I was putting it away for the winter.

As you can see, there is a lot of tread left but I am still worried about the age of the tires as well as the temperature extremes they have lived in (upstate NY and Texas).

Should I be proactive and just change out the tires this summer? Also, has anyone used these tires on their 950T?

Elite 3: 130/90B-16 (front)
&
Elite 3: 180/70HR-16 (rear)

Thanks!
after they dismount them bend the side walls with your hand, and you'll have a panic attack when you realize how deep the cracks really are. those cracks were opening like that while you were riding and the tire was flexing. so if you see that again you'll be changing em real quick. it a real eye opener when you flex the crack open manually.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I will heed your advice immediately! As for the replacements, how do my suggestions (original) look. They are slightly bigger than the OEM's but I think they'll fit my 950T!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

those are the exact same tires i put on my 950. the tread never seems to wear down on these tires. i replaced my last set after about 30K miles/3 yrs because the rubber had considerably hardened by then (probably should have replaced after 2 years) and lost grip. so for these tires, instead of using tread wear as an indicator, you're going to want to check for other signs of age/wear. but they should last much longer than most other tires on the market.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bevo and the rest of the community. Ya'll have been very helpful!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks everyone! I will heed your advice immediately! As for the replacements, how do my suggestions (original) look. They are slightly bigger than the OEM's but I think they'll fit my 950T!
going with a taller tires will improve top end a little going wider will require more steering input to initiate a lean
debot and debot like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode