21" Harley front wheel conversion is done - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

21" Harley front wheel conversion is done

I just finished my 21" Harley conversion today. I'm loving the new look.
I went a different route than the write up on the wiki knowledge page and did a bearing swap, so I was able to retain the stock axle shaft and can go back and forth between Harley or Vstar front wheels. I can do a write up on it if there is interest

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Looks Great!
Please do a write up ...
Details- details please
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:11 PM

What kind of wheel do you have in the back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 PM

Looks good. Please do the write up
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maustarman View Post
What kind of wheel do you have in the back?
I have a chrome Rc Components 18"x5.5" solid rear wheel with a 200/55-18 rear tire. Snagged it off eBay a while back.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks Great!
Please do a write up ...
Details- details please
Here's a write-up for how I did it. If you have any pointers or questions on what I did or how to spruce up the write-up let me know.

***Here's a way to do a Harley front wheel conversion that allows you to retain you stock 17mm axle shaft, thus allowing you to go back and forth between Harley front wheels and Vstar 1100 front wheels. Total cost on this conversion was about $160 total.

What you'll need:
-2000+ Harley softail front wheel of your choosing
- 2 - 62304/17 AB Bearing 17x52x21 Sealed bearings from VXB.com
- 1 - 5" long steel tube with a 18mm inner diameter and a decent wall thickness (for crush sleeve).
-1 single 18" long brake line of your choice(if going single front brake).

Firstly,
I was able to find a 2007 Harley softail front wheel on a tire with the 11.5" rotor for $100 off Craigslist. I then pulled out the stock bearings that were in the wheel. They're pressed in so you'll need to have them pulled out at a motorcycle shop or get a bearing puller. You can find a cheap inner bearing slide hammer puller off eBay for about $40. Once you have the old bearings out, Next you'll install the bearings and crush sleeve. You can take this to your local bike shop and have it done or do what I did and save some money if you have the ability. You'll press in the left side bearing until it seats all the way in the wheel. To do this I used 2 small scrap 1/4" thick small steel plates I had and a c-clamp to do this. I stood the wheel up on a table and put one steel plate against the right side hub and the other against the face of the bearing I was pressing into on the left side. The steel plates allow you to clamp down and press in the bearing with even pressure across the whole bearing face and gives you an area to put the c-clamp faces on securely for clamping. Once the left side bearing is in, you'll take the 5" long steel tube mentioned above and put it in the center of the hub. This will be used as a crush sleeve so when you tighten the axle in the fork you don't over tighten and squeeze the inner races on the bearings and cause premature bearing failure. Next install the right side bearing. Now for this it's a little more tricky. I set the right side bearing in the hub and put the axle through the bearing and crush sleeve solely to hold the crush sleeve in place in the center of the hub. Then put a steel plate on the left side hub to use as a clamping surface and then carefully used outside race of the bearing as my other clamp surface, slowly and carefully pressed it in(the bearings went I fairly easy and I didn't do any damage to the bearing but if you not comfortable doing this take it to your local bike shop and have them do it). You'll press the right side bearing in until just touches the crush sleeve and that's it. The slight pressure should hold the crush sleeve in place and you can pull out the axle. Next you can install the wheel on the bike just as you normally would but without the spacers. Once you're wheel is on, you can measure up what length spacers you'll need. I used the 2 factory Vstar 1100 spacers(and ordered replacements if I ever want to go back to the stock Vstar front wheel) and cut off roughly 1/3 of each spacer. Then reinstalled the wheel with the spacers and tightened everything down and that part is done. If you're running dual front brakes then you done and ready to go.

If you're going single front brake like I did, you'll need to pull off whatever side caliper you're not using(in my case he right side). And swap out the dual front brake line for the single 18" one mentioned above. After that you'll just need to refill and bleed the brakes and you're all done and ready to go.

Some extra goodies I went with that raised the cost for me slightly was I went with a stainless steel braided brake line about $35 of eBay. A standard rubber line is around $20. Also I went with a polished 11.5" Harley brake rotor which was about $65 off eBay. So my total cost for this conversion was about $225, but still beats the $800 plus for an aftermarket front wheel.***
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1100km View Post
Quote:
Looks Great!
Please do a write up ...
Details- details please
Here's a write-up for how I did it. If you have any pointers or questions on what I did or how to spruce up the write-up let me know.

***Here's a way to do a Harley front wheel conversion that allows you to retain you stock 17mm axle shaft, thus allowing you to go back and forth between Harley front wheels and Vstar 1100 front wheels. Total cost on this conversion was about $160 total.

What you'll need:
- 1 - 5" long steel tube with a 18mm inner diameter and a decent wall thickness (for crush sleeve).

Firstly,
I was able to find a 2007 Harley softail front wheel on a tire with the 11.5" rotor for $100 off Craigslist. I then pulled out the stock bearings that were in the wheel. They're pressed in so you'll need to have them pulled out at a motorcycle shop or get a bearing puller. You can find a cheap inner bearing slide hammer puller off eBay for about $40. Once you have the old bearings out, Next you'll install the bearings and crush sleeve. You can take this to your local bike shop and have it done or do what I did and save some money if you have the ability. You'll press in the left side bearing until it seats all the way in the wheel. To do this I used 2 small scrap 1/4" thick small steel plates I had and a c-clamp to do this. I stood the wheel up on a table and put one steel plate against the right side hub and the other against the face of the bearing I was pressing into on the left side. The steel plates allow you to clamp down and press in the bearing with even pressure across the whole bearing face and gives you an area to put the c-clamp faces on securely for clamping. Once the left side bearing is in, you'll take the 5" long steel tube mentioned above and put it in the center of the hub. This will be used as a crush sleeve so when you tighten the axle in the fork you don't over tighten and squeeze the inner races on the bearings and cause premature bearing failure. Next install the right side bearing. Now for this it's a little more tricky. I set the right side bearing in the hub and put the axle through the bearing and crush sleeve solely to hold the crush sleeve in place in the center of the hub. Then put a steel plate on the left side hub to use as a clamping surface and then carefully used outside race of the bearing as my other clamp surface, slowly and carefully pressed it in(the bearings went I fairly easy and I didn't do any damage to the bearing but if you not comfortable doing this take it to your local bike shop and have them do it). You'll press the right side bearing in until just touches the crush sleeve and that's it. The slight pressure should hold the crush sleeve in place and you can pull out the axle. Next you can install the wheel on the bike just as you normally would but without the spacers. Once you're wheel is on, you can measure up what length spacers you'll need. I used the 2 factory Vstar 1100 spacers(and ordered replacements if I ever want to go back to the stock Vstar front wheel) and cut off roughly 1/3 of each spacer. Then reinstalled the wheel with the spacers and tightened everything down and that part is done. If you're running dual front brakes then you done and ready to go.

If you're going single front brake like I did, you'll need to pull off whatever side caliper you're not using(in my case he right side). And swap out the dual front brake line for the single 18" one mentioned above. After that you'll just need to refill and bleed the brakes and you're all done and ready to go.

Some extra goodies I went with that raised the cost for me slightly was I went with a stainless steel braided brake line about $35 of eBay. A standard rubber line is around $20. Also I went with a polished 11.5" Harley brake rotor which was about $65 off eBay. So my total cost for this conversion was about $225, but still beats the $800 plus for an aftermarket front wheel.***
Great write up, thank you
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 10:06 AM

Garage
how did it affect handling
V1100km and V1100km like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:12 PM

If it's anything like mine, it just felt a little quicker on the turn in....but after 5 minutes of riding I couldn't really tell if there was much difference....not a huge change and I got used to it.
V1100km and V1100km like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1100km View Post

What you'll need:

Firstly,

That's by far the simplest way to do the conversion. 2000+ means sealed bearings....which means you can find lots of alternative sized bearings.

I found some Harley spacers in my toolbox that did the job for me, so you can buy them new as well if you don't want to mess with cutting the V Star ones. I think I paid less than $5 each for them a few years back when doing another project.

I had to go a little different route with the 95 FXST wheel....definitely wasn't as easy, but got the wheel with rotor shipped for $90...so I just made it work.

I'm going to put on 2" extended forks in a few weeks (hopefully) to give the bike a little more attitude. Since I've had them for a couple of years I might as well use them!
V1100km, V1100km and Htiek Blair like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 03-08-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode