can U over-pressurize brakes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By pauli466
  • 2 Post By oldjoe1300

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

can U over-pressurize brakes?

i was bleeding my front brake line last night and i just couldn't feel the pressure building up with the brake lever. i'm pretty sure it was because i was pumping it way too fast and squeezing it way too hard. so i ended up doing several cycles of pumping and releasing the bleeder screw. when i decided to test it by spinning the front wheel, the brake stopped the tire with ferocious bite. the lever doesn't feel too stiff, but i can tell i have more front brake now than i ever have before. but can you go too far? is there such thing as over-pressurizing it?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 04:51 PM

There's no such thing. You just had air in the line all that time.

OldJoe v star 1300
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 06:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i was bleeding my front brake line last night and i just couldn't feel the pressure building up with the brake lever. i'm pretty sure it was because i was pumping it way too fast and squeezing it way too hard. so i ended up doing several cycles of pumping and releasing the bleeder screw. when i decided to test it by spinning the front wheel, the brake stopped the tire with ferocious bite. the lever doesn't feel too stiff, but i can tell i have more front brake now than i ever have before. but can you go too far? is there such thing as over-pressurizing it?
that's why it's good practice to change the fluid every two years, when you do that you wont have air in the system, you can alway tell air is building in the system when you pull the brake the second time it feels better than the first pull and has less travel
nick57 and nick57 like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 06-10-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

i had just changed out my fluid last year when i replaced the pad. i started losing front brake power over the past few weeks and when i looked at my level, my fluid was way low. i haven't spotted any leaks or puddles when i've parked. what could it have been?

on a steel horse I ride

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 07:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
i had just changed out my fluid last year when i replaced the pad. i started losing front brake power over the past few weeks and when i looked at my level, my fluid was way low. i haven't spotted any leaks or puddles when i've parked. what could it have been?
as the pads wear the fluid drops and if you keep topping it when you put new pads and push the caliper pistons in, the extra fluid has no were to go, the fluid line is the low line, so when your pads are at there limit that where fluid level will end up, so you fill it to the top with new pads and when they are done the fluid will be at the low mark which means you change pads and don't add fluid because when you push the pistons in to change pads the fluid will top out again. when i put new fluid in i back bleed it in from caliper, i use a squeeze bottle with a hose to the bleed nipple and hold the brake lever in with a pull tie, it's opposite of vacuum bleeding but it works just as well if not better and faster

Last edited by pauli466; 06-11-2016 at 07:51 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

maybe we're misunderstanding each other but none of your post seems to apply to my situation. when i changed my pad last year, i completely changed out the fluid. and i actually reset the pistons in the caliper during the process. so i basically started from new last year. i still have plenty of pad left now, so with the fluid level way down low doesn't indicate pad wear at all. and by topping off the fluid and re-bleeding this time, i have more braking power now than ever before.

on a steel horse I ride

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:13 AM

bevo 1981 if your break reservoir gets to low that will cause air to get in the line. If you are losing fluid you have a leak. It must be leaking when you put pressure on the breaks. Pump the break lever a few times in hold it. Then see if you can find the leak. Having more break then before is not unusual .You just didn't get all the air out before. Some time its hard to get all the air out of the line. You can get air back in the line when you bleed the breaks.I got this ideal off the internet an its easy to make it works great. Put the hose on the bleeder nipple then start bleeding the breaks.This will keep air from getting back into the line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0001.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	59482   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0002.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	59490  
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

OldJoe v star 1300

Last edited by oldjoe1300; 06-12-2016 at 11:21 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
maybe we're misunderstanding each other but none of your post seems to apply to my situation. when i changed my pad last year, i completely changed out the fluid. and i actually reset the pistons in the caliper during the process. so i basically started from new last year. i still have plenty of pad left now, so with the fluid level way down low doesn't indicate pad wear at all. and by topping off the fluid and re-bleeding this time, i have more braking power now than ever before.
the only thing i can say is brake fluid doesn't evaporate so it had to leak. sometimes the leak is so small it just shows as a little sweating around piston seals and then wet riding washes it away, water will dissolve brake fluid. the reservoir would have be almost empty for air to get into the system, the feed hole in the bottom of the reservoir would need to be open to the air for that to happen, or if it was low enough that when you hit the brake the fluid ran to one side uncovering the feed hole, being a little low wouldn't do it, my semi metallics usually last two years so when i do the pads its time for seals a new fluid anyway, about halfway through the pad i bleed them again and where the air comes from is beyond me, but there always seems to be some

Last edited by pauli466; 06-12-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode