1st DIY rear tire change and balance - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

1st DIY rear tire change and balance

I just did my first motorcycle tire change and balance.

2008 VStar 1100 Silverado. I replaced the original and very worn out Dunlops with Shinko 230 Tourmasters.

Removal and reinstallation went very smooth. Easy enough. The front tire was fairly easy. Start to finish about 2 hours for the front. The rear was a different story. It took about 4 hours to get that tire onto the wheel. Bear in mind that this is my first motorcycle DIY tire change so there is a bit of a learning curve. It wasn't exactly easy, but wasn't hard either.

Now for the results...OMG the bike rides great! I balanced the wheels myself and at 65 MPH it is perfectly smooth. No vibrations at all.

So if you decide to do it yourself it can be done. The rear tire is the most difficult because of the stiffness of the sidewall. Just have the tools you need and get to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-24-2012, 10:57 PM

Congrats!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

4 wheels move the body....2 wheels move the soul
2012 V Star 950 Tourer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 01:45 PM

i have a friend that has a auto shop with a tire machine , so i just take my stuff to him and he mounts and balances for free, better than paying a MC shop 95.00hr for 15mins worth of work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

If I had access to a deal like that I wouldn't do it myself either. Total cost with the tools I had to buy (tires, tire irons, weights) was 190.00 for both tires.

The local stealership wanted wanted $180 for just the rear tire when I got the set of Shinkos for 143.

And they wont mount a tire that you didn't buy from them. Those prices DO NOT include mounting balancing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 PM

DK Pony, you done good I am sure you feel like you learned the valuable lesson, (How much money you can save, plus the pride involved) of taking care of your own stuff

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, but I learned that a loooong time ago. I don't take my vehicles to anyone for anything.

Nobody puts the time, effort and caring into my stuff that I do.

I had just never done bike tires. But I'm glad I did it myself.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM

Garage
I did my own. My only regret is not getting tire irons. I have a couple scratches on mine wheels because of using screw drives and pry bars. I can't blame anyone but my self. I with you on doing your own work.

Liquid Silver 09 950T VStar w/ Cobra Speedster exhaust; Yamaha Big Bear crash bar; Yamaha passing lights; Kuryakyn throttle lock; Ultimate rider seat, rider backrest, & passenger seat; rear running lights; Wolo Bad Boy air horn; air box mod; K&N filter; oem rear rack; crash bar chaps; Road Ready rear bag; blue LED underglow lights; heated Avon air cushion grips; 3" raised passenger back rest; Cobra Fi2000R O2 fuel programmer; ebay batwing VStar 1300 fairing; rear LED bulbs
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode