Adjusting brakes with too much pressure - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Meatwad
  • 2 Post By NGM
  • 2 Post By commonground

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Adjusting brakes with too much pressure

I just put new brake pads on my front calipers. I followed the guide in the factory service manual and opened the bleed screw on the caliper when I pushed the caliper pistons back into the caliper. That pushed out a little bit of brake fluid from the right caliper (about 1 tablespoon). When I did the left caliper none came out using the same method.

Anyway the brakes are on and working good. A little too good actually because now I touch the brake lever a little bit and I get almost immediate braking. I need to adjust this so I don't brake too hard, too quick. What is the best approach for this? Draw out some brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir? Or try and adjust the screw on the master cylinder? Not sure if I described that right.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Unless bikes are different there is no adjustment to a disc brake system. You have new brake pads on there and sounds like you did the service properly. You just have good brakes now.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Anyway the brakes are on and working good. A little too good actually because now I touch the brake lever a little bit and I get almost immediate braking. I need to adjust this so I don't brake too hard, too quick. What is the best approach for this? Draw out some brake fluid from the master cylinder reservoir? Or try and adjust the screw on the master cylinder? Not sure if I described that right.
If you draw fluid out of the master cylinder housing you may deplete the reservoir of fluid above the master cylinder and allow the piston/cylinder to be uncovered, which could allow it to pump air and then you will have very soft brakes or no brakes at all. The pressure exerted on your brake pads is a direct function of how much pressure you put on the brake lever not an adjustment.

If you bled fluid out when replacing the pads, be sure your master cylinder reservoir is filled back up to the full mark with the proper brake fluid.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Unless bikes are different there is no adjustment to a disc brake system. You have new brake pads on there and sounds like you did the service properly. You just have good brakes now.
It's not the brakes I want to adjust but the amount of force required on the brake lever. As it stands it's way too easy for me to brake too hard. I mean I barely touch the lever and the brakes are hitting the rotor. Maybe I just need to adjust the lever but that's kindof my question.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 06:40 AM

You can adjust your brake lever to give you some free play before the brake engages, if that is what you are asking. If your brake engages immediately the adjustment may be too tight.

My manual on the 1300 says to have 2 to 5 mm or .08 to .2 inches of free play measured at the very end of the throttle lever.

The force applied to the brakes is still a function of the amount of pressure you put on the lever. For some operations of a motorcycle finesse is important. With the front brake you use a gentle squeeze and then increase the pressure as needed.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 09-22-2016 at 06:43 AM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode