Tires too old - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Tires too old

My latest bike 2007 Vstar 1100 8000 miles came with the original tires which mean they are 9 years old .
First glimpse they don't look that bad but a closer look at the rear tire shows some cracks .
The front looks fine (to me)

Probably have to replaced them right?

Whats the best place to buy them online?
If I bring the tires to The motorcycle store where I live he will charge me $40 for each tire with the bike or $20 if I bring the wheels

Of course I don't have a lift (looking for one right now) which will generate another new thread later

Thanks for any help

Fee leap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Elk

I can't remember for sure, but I think I bought mine off Amazon...
I'm sure others will chime in with better places. Did you check the price at the shop?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:09 PM
KCW

Garage
fI you are not riding to the limits of traction I would say your 9 year old tires are fine.

Dont let the cracks in the rubber bother you. The rubber is not what holds the tires together, the corded 'belts' are what gives the tire its strength. The rubber is what provides the traction.

If your back tire is original 8k miles its close to the limit of wear anyway. google MC tire wear bars and see if yours are showing. If so its time to replace the back one (at least). Usually the front tire lasts twice as long as the rear.

I got my last set of tires for my VS650 at bikebandit online. Good prices and I was able to get the exact Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) tires from Bridgestone that they put on the bike when its new. I had to search the site a bit, just putting in the bike model number did not cough up the right tube-type tires for my bike, but by looking at each Bridgestone tire of the correct size I was able to find the right tubed' tire. Shipping was really fast. Your owners manual will tell you the exact Bridestone tire "model" that came on your bike from the factory.

Dont try to save a few bucks by getting Dunlop tires or any other cheaper brand. The OEM Bridgestone tires a very good, and the bike will feel the same, a little better actually because a new tire is heavier than one that is worn out. If you are really into pushing the bike to the limit then you might want to look for even better rated tires (more $$$$$) . I cant help you with that.

If you feel comfortable wrenching on your bike you can jack it up several different ways and get the wheels on and off. If your fender extends over the back of your wheel, you will have to get the bike a couple feet up in the air to get the wheel out from under the fender, or take the rear fender off the bike. There is no trick or secret to taking the wheels off yamaha bikes, and no special tools are required. I do recommend you have a torque wrench for putting the wheel nuts back on correctly.

Before you pay someone else for the joy of wrenching on your beautiful machine, at least read through the service manual pages on taking the wheels on and off, or check Youtube and see if you can find a video for your bike. If nothing else you will see what you are paying someone else to do.

Last edited by KCW; 11-07-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys ..price at the store are $$$$ bike bandits have really good price. .. .On my car I usually wait until they are completely dead before replacing them but on two wheels I was a bit cautious but will wait a bit more. ....yes rear fender over the tire ....already look online busy work but I like to do my own work if it's not too difficult

Thank you guys
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 PM
KCW

Garage
Completely dead on a motorcycle is not good.

You do not have state safety inspections in CA, so no one is telling you "bro these tires are shot". Its up to you.

Check the wear bar indicators. If you are down to the wear bars, replace the tires. Consider that the completely dead limit.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 08:35 PM

Those tires are too old to be safe!!!

AMAZON is a good place but your local MC shop may match pricing if they do the swap.

I bought tires, tubes and spoke protectors from AMAZON took the tires and wheels to local YAMI shop and they charged $100 to swap with balancing.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

2003 V Star 1100 Classic
Pipes, missing "stuff", re jet, Saddleman seat, ScootMod 6" forward, passenger floorboards, Clevver mod. More to come.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Of course I didn't mean to ride dead tire on motorcycle I'll change them I'm a while because I don't ride much right now ..Thanks
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
fI you are not riding to the limits of traction I would say your 9 year old tires are fine.

Dont let the cracks in the rubber bother you.

i would certainly hope that any mechanic worth 2 cents would tell any customer that if they start seeing stress cracks in their motorcycle tires then it's time to get them replaced. and i think most people would say that motorcycle tires more than a couple years old, regardless of mileage, should probably be replaced. and most motorcycle tires with 8,000 miles on them are probably nearing their end of life and should be replaced soon. you add up all these together and i wouldn't let you ride to the end of your driveway on those tires if i were your friend. there's more to a tire's performance and lifespan than just tread depth.

i don't know what you mean by a "dead" tire, but on a car, if you get a flat or blowout or catastrophic tire failure while driving, you can simply pull over to the side of the road. if this happens while riding a bike, you'd be lucky to not have a serious accident. you should not treat your motorcycle tires the same as you would on a car. you have half as many and both are exponentially more responsible for your safety. even if the bike was stored properly all these years, rubber hardens over time. the tires cannot grip the road nearly as well as they used to. even if they still look 'good', you may not realize how slippery they are until you're in the middle of a turn and the back end slides out from under you. imo, the 2 most integral pieces of a bike to a biker's safety are the brakes and tires. and i personally don't compromise on either. i suggest replacing them both NOW, not to mention anything else on the bike that hasn't been serviced in 9 years.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:03 AM

Garage
I buy my tires at Motorcycle Superstore. I always compare with various sites, and come back to Motorcycle Superstore.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:16 PM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

Even in a tire store we would return tires that were 3 years old and had never even been outside. The rubber gets hard. As all of you know hard rubber = poor traction. Those cracks do mean that the tire can come apart. PLEASE replace 9 year old tires.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode