Do I need tubes? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By mcmike54
  • 2 Post By commonground
  • 2 Post By afaycasaym

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Do I need tubes?

So I have new tires I need to get mounted on my '09 v-star 1300 tourer and I'm wondering if I need to get tubes too. I do not have spoked rims. Do I need to use tubes or is it just a good idea?

I am also thinking about mounting them myself which I know is a chore but would save me $140-$175. Is balancing easy to do without a machine or should I just pony up and have the shop do it?
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2009 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer (Current)
2004 Suzuki Volusia VL800 (2012-2016)
1981 Honda Silverwing GL500 (2007-2012)

Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 05:30 AM

You shouldn't need tubes for the 1300 tourer if you bought tubeless tires. I have a 2015 1300T and I buy my tires on-line and then have the dealership install them. That is the best scenario for me. They have the tools and the know how and time is valuable to me. Good luck, be safe, Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:46 AM

Garage
Your question: Do I need to use tubes or is it just a good idea?

You don't need tubes with cast wheels and it's not even a good idea. I can usually repair a tire puncture during a ride on a cast wheel with a tubeless tire without removing the wheel (about a 10-15 min job). Can't do that with a tubed tire even with cast wheels, since you're using the tube valve which may leak if the tube is damaged. Spoked wheels with tubes will have to be removed from the bike for repair. Using a tube in a cast wheel would be like putting a tube in your car tire. Just my $.02. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:26 PM

As others have said, you don't need a tube for a cast wheel. Just check yer valve stem when ya change tires. And as far as balancing, since yer doin it yer self, look into balance beads. I change my own tires myself also. I even put a car tire on rear, and a rear tire on the front of my 1100, and I use both the Dyna Beads, and another brand that I wanted to compare with the Dyna Beads. Can't remember what they're called at the moment. But they both work great. No shimmy, shake, or other vibration that I can detect. And I didn't even do a static balance first. They work by constantly balancing yer tires while ya roll. Truckers use them in their tires also to get extended life out of their tires. Good luck in whatever ya decide ta do.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode