Old tires? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By commonground
  • 2 Post By NGM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

Old tires?

Okay, so my tires (second owner of a 2001 classic) look to be the original. Date code, seems to be DOT EUXR LE 74100. Of that is the date code, my tires would be 16 years old, does that look right?
Second, what size tubes do I use for original size tires? The bike indeed has tubes on spoke wheels.
Thanks for the help
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 AM

Here is a link to a site about date codes on motorcycle tires. Tyre age and DOT numbers for motorcycle tyre - moto-tyres online @ moto-tyres.co.uk

This is an interesting read throughout, especially the test on the tires when stored properly.
YamaMassGirl and YamaMassGirl like this.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 01-08-2017 at 06:43 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 AM
NGM
Lifetime Premium

As a shop manager for cages, the rule of thumb is if it has been on the shelf 3 years get new ones. If it has been on the car 6 years time for new ones. As those could be 15 years old YES get new ones. Also they could be even older than 15. Depending on when they were made. They could have been made in 1999 to 2001 depending on the build date of the bike.
chedobean and chedobean like this.

No matter where you go there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
As a shop manager for cages, the rule of thumb is if it has been on the shelf 3 years get new ones. If it has been on the car 6 years time for new ones. As those could be 15 years old YES get new ones. Also they could be even older than 15. Depending on when they were made. They could have been made in 1999 to 2001 depending on the build date of the bike.
agree, rubber is so important to keeping us safe. Old tires are worse than bald tires. Too late when you are sliding on your arse...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:59 PM

I have to chime in here, too...don't even think about it, getcha some new tires right away.
Have to ask...are you a 130 pilot?

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Oips, ya'll really thought I'd ride on those ancient skins. NO WAY. Already have Michelins on the way and, although the temps should get up to 70 by weeks end, have to keep the ride in hibernation.
What I wonder is how many new riders would by a 16 year old bike with "lots of tread left" and ride on them? I hope this post catches some eyes and has them reconsider.
Riding on old rubber ain't worth saving $200 especially since my butt's on the line.

And yes, I'm a C-130 pilot when I'm not tucked away in a windowless office as the c chief of safety.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkdriver View Post
And yes, I'm a C-130 pilot when I'm not tucked away in a windowless office as the c chief of safety.
I work at a military/civilian airfield that used to be a base for 130's, before they were replaced by C-5's, and then C-17's...
I'm a lowly private pilot but was an Air Force brat...my Dad flew Skyraiders, then transport...Father-in-law was FE on a 130 gunship in Nam...so your name caught my eye

Bart
'12 950 VStar Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode