Carburetors 1 or 2. Bike shop or home? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Carburetors 1 or 2. Bike shop or home?

I'm on an 05 1100 Silverado. It's Jetted with pipes and doesn't sit in the garage collecting dust. I ride it at least 40 miles a day. That's back and forth to work. The other day when on my way home, I twisted the throttle to FWO and let her climb. At about 80 it sputtered and sounded like it lost a cylinder. I know I have spark, I tested that with a timing light. But I still sound like it's. Only hitting on one cylinder. It sounds like its not getting fuel. Sounds the same way it would if it where out of fuel. So, I'm not all dumb. I know its probably trash in a carb but the question is 1 carb or 2. 1 (one) carb makes it easy. Drop the bowl like an old lawn mower, clean the bowl and ride. 2 carbs means syncing and if you dot know what your doing screwing things up good. So I ask you my two wheel endowed friends does my 2005, 1100. V Star have one carburetor or two. Thanks. People's.

Last edited by VStarbagger; 10-07-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 07:21 PM

Rev limit

Is this a 650? Not much more than 80 the rev limiter comes into play. I believe 90 in fourth gear.

You have two Carbs. If you work on them be sure to sync them. I would try a tank of Sea Foam before I tear it down. Shot in the dark but who knows?

some info here.
http://650ccnd.com/perf.htm

Dave
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

If the car ride in many places, it must be focused
NHL jerseys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

I fixed it

You won't find this in any tech manuals but heres whta I did. I disconnected the fuel line at the petcock and while holding my throttle FWO I used my air compessor to blow about 15-20 psi through the fuel line. like I said you won't find it in any tech manual or repair books but it worked. Also another thing I heard about was remove the air cleaner completely and "with the bike running" cover the air intake hole comlpetely, this will cause great suction on the main jet hopfully removing the blockage. home remidies are cheap.... Thanks for your help guys..... My ride it fixed......

Rubber side down...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM

You might should check your fuel filter if that fixed it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 07:17 PM

if you want to remove the fuel shut off solenoid rev limeter cut the wire to the solenoid on each side of your carb . the check engine light will come on .What I did was go to radio shack get 2 33 ohm resisters cost 1$ cut wires from fuel shut off solenoid on both sides of the carb. solder one to both wires connect bottom of resisters and solder a illet for a ground and i put mine on the bolt to the valve cover check engine lite goes off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode