Oil types and preferences - Page 3 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 AM

Rural King not far from me has 10w-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil on their shelves inside the store.

Packer Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:07 AM
KCW

Garage
so what is it about Amsoil that makes it better than any other name brand petro oil or synthetic oil?

Is it made from the oil of baby seals? Made from the wings of butterflys?

The little bit I have looked into this, synthetic oil is made from crude oil, using a different process with other materials in the formula.

What is Amsoil doing that no one else can do?
post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerjim View Post
Rural King not far from me has 10w-40 Amsoil motorcycle oil on their shelves inside the store.
We have a gas station that has some of the amsoil product on the shelf but is usually just car oil and diesel additives. I just bought quicksilver motorcycle oil and will see if there is any difference between the valvoline full syn i was running.
JonMaz2112 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
so what is it about Amsoil that makes it better than any other name brand petro oil or synthetic oil?

Is it made from the oil of baby seals? Made from the wings of butterflys?

The little bit I have looked into this, synthetic oil is made from crude oil, using a different process with other materials in the formula.

What is Amsoil doing that no one else can do?
AMSOIL vs Mobil 1 - Reno Synthetics
the site claims that testing was done in an independent laboratory.

https://www.amsoil.com/performancetests.aspx

AMSOIL Leads Others in Industry-Standard Testing - Engine Builder Magazine
KCW and KCW like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

I rode about 60 miles with the quicksilver 10 40 and seemed to perform well.
Maybe because its fresh oil but shifting did not seem as clunky compared to the valvoline 4t. Clutch seemed to operate smooth also. Maybe placebo effect? Can't say. It is good oil though. I will see as miles progress.
JonMaz2112 likes this.

Last edited by road_slug; 04-29-2018 at 09:30 AM.
post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i think it's absolutely ridiculous that you can't purchase this Amsoil directly, either in person or online. it would be easier to just be able to go to a store and pick it off the shelf, but it's a small price to pay to have a 2 minute phone call and have it shipped to you within a couple days and to get a superior oil that allows me to only have to change it out once a year. And I always tell him i'm with this forum and i'm pretty sure he's been giving me a discount that was once offered here to forum members, but those threads were erased when his sponsorship ended.

1-877-356-6099
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Professional Review of Bobistheoilguy.com (BITOG)

just made my 7th annual call (i'm a couple months behind this year) to Bob. the oil guy. i didn't time the call, but it was right about 2 minutes total. sitting in my chair. in my boxers. easy peazy. refried beansy.
doubleot, doubleot and JonMaz2112 like this.

on a steel horse I ride

post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
just made my 7th annual call (i'm a couple months behind this year) to Bob. the oil guy. i didn't time the call, but it was right about 2 minutes total. sitting in my chair. in my boxers. easy peazy. refried beansy.
What was the cost per quart or case if you dont mind sharing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

i forgot to even ask. last year it was $61.87 for 4 quarts plus filter. that must also be with free shipping as well because that total is about $10 less than if you price out 4 quarts plus filter on their website which comes out to over $70. the website quotes $13.50/qt and $17 for the filter. so i'd say i'm being charged between $11-$12 a quart. it wasn't priced out individually on my previous receipt.
doubleot and doubleot like this.

on a steel horse I ride

post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Amsoil makes good oil if you use their full synthetic oil because they use a group IV PAO base stock instead of group III conventional base stock.

groups I, II, and III are all conventional oil with group three being the most refined meaning they remove the most impurities from it over group I and II.

The oils molecules are still conventional oil meaning they are different sizes and shapes example.

00oOOOoooqqqqqQQ

The smaller molecules in conventional oil get used up faster than large molecules.

In a true synthetic oil the molecules are made in a lab so every molecule is the same example.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now seeing the difference in the molecules lets you understand better why a synthetic oil can protect better and lubricate better then a conventional oil, i.e. you don't feel the shifter get harder to shift as the oil gets miles on it.

With a synthetic oil having every molecule the same size they share the work load on a bearing surface or gear surface better than a conventional oil does. With the conventional oil the larger molecules are doing more of the work load but the smaller molecules are being used up so over time you have fewer molecules to do the job in a conventional oil vs a true synthetic oil.

What is a true synthetic oil, they are the group IV PAO oils with all other synthetics that are not in group IV PAO group placed into the group V category which will include ester based oils like Redline oil.

Both group IV and group V are man made with every molecule being the same as the others.

Group V synthetics have one advantage over pure group IV synthetics and that is a group V ester based synthetic carries a positive charge like a magnet so it clings to metal surfaces. That is why a lot of group IV PAO synthetics will add some group V ester to their formula. Group V oils will add some group IV PAO to their formulas because a pure ester group V can cause seal shrinkage resulting in oil leaks, by adding some group IV PAO which can cause seal swelling takes care of that issue so you won't get an oil leak.

I personally for me like Redline group V oils for my cars and motorcycles.

Here is a little known fact about semi-synthetic oils, by law a semi synthetic oil can not contain more than 30% synthetic oil in it. That means that 70% of a semi synthetic oil will be conventional oil, but it could also mean 99% could be conventional oil as there is no set standard for how much synthetic has to be in the semi-synthetic oil other than it can't be more than 30% synthetic.

Now group three conventional oils are also called hydro cracked and due to a ruling made by the NAD (National Advertising Division) said that Castrol could call their group III oils full synthetic when Mobil challenged Castrol.

No matter what NAD ruled group III oils are still truly nothing but a more refined conventional oil with different size molecules. Sadly the API followed the NAD ruling and call group III oils full synthetics.

Interesting note on this is that in Germany only a true group IV or group V oil can be labeled as a full synthetic, group III oils can not be labeled as synthetic oils well because they are not synthetic oils. NAD and the API have done a huge disservice to the American public by allowing oil companies to falsely label group III oils as full synthetics.

If you want a true full synthetic oil purchase only oils made from group IV and or group V base stocks.

Last edited by American; 06-10-2018 at 08:21 AM.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 10:43 AM

American, Thanks for the info posting. Very informative and understandable.

Packer Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode