Oil types and preferences - Page 5 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:07 PM

One advantage of using full synthetic oil is that you only need to be concerned about mileage.
When using natural oils, vehicle mfg. would say change your oil at 3000 miles OR 3 months.
The reason: natural oils quickly attract bacteria and bacteria will start breaking down the oils regardless of mileage.
Synthetic oils do not attract bacteria like natural oils so now mfg usually just list mileage for oil change intervals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
so what is it about Amsoil that makes it better than any other name brand petro oil or synthetic oil?

Is it made from the oil of baby seals? Made from the wings of butterflys?
I heard is was made from purified unicorn urine. There is a secret factory in Area 51 where they bottle it.
post #43 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

i think it comes from Ricky Bobby

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Garage
Castrol makes a semi- Syn. "Activo" and a full Syn. "Power 1" for MC Both are JASO M-2 and API SL. Their "GO!" is also JASO M-2, but API SG. Other than to tout additives, the label reads nothing about synthetics, so I can assume that the GO! is a dino...?

Has anyone tried Castrol? It's reasonably priced by the gallons online....and it's available for similar pricing at my local auto-parts store.

I do wish Rotilla (T6) would re-apply their JASO rating....my Road Star was smooth as silk on that. Feeling the heat that comes off the new Venture, I can't imagine a 50 flows any less efficiently than a 40 in that engine, but I won't mind being corrected...

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #45 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i've been using Amsoil for the past several years. 1yr/10K miles between oil changes, and independent testing shows it has higher viscosity and other scientific stuff than other brands. even when i reach the end of my oil cycle there is no degradation in clutch performance. i once used Castrol a while back when i changed out my clutch plates because i didn't want to wait for an order of amsoil to come in. after about 3,000 miles there began to be considerable clutch slippage. switched back to Amsoil and no issues ever since.
You're riding in the same temperatures I am. I think I'm going to give amsoil a try next time. My oil changes seem to indicate I could go considerably further than 5k between changes but don't want to with the non-synthetics I normally use.

BTW, K&N kn-204 filter, and between the 650 and 950 I've used valvoline, yamalube, castrol gtx. 10w-40 conventional. No noticeable differences.

Not that it matters, but just curious: I wonder if amsoil oil additive is part of the formula in their motor oil? I've considered trying their oil additive in the cars and bike.
JonMaz2112 likes this.

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
post #46 of 46 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Poser View Post
One advantage of using full synthetic oil is that you only need to be concerned about mileage.
When using natural oils, vehicle mfg. would say change your oil at 3000 miles OR 3 months.
The reason: natural oils quickly attract bacteria and bacteria will start breaking down the oils regardless of mileage.
Synthetic oils do not attract bacteria like natural oils so now mfg usually just list mileage for oil change intervals.
Authentic Poser, this was great information. I did not know about the bacteria factor in natural oils.
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode