Mobil 1 20,000 mile protection - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By blueblitz09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Mobil 1 20,000 mile protection

I was just wondering about using this stuff in a bike. It says annual protection, and guaranteed for 20,000 miles. That would translate into quite a bit of time between oil changes, especially for a bike. Would you use this in your bike? Would it hurt anything to try? I just changed my oil, but thinking about it for the next time.

I don't have to have fast, I just have to have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM
KCW

Garage
user manual for a vstar requires you to change your oil every 4000 miles, and your filter every 8000 miles, no matter what kind of oil you use.

Mobile 1 may keep its properties for 20,000 miles without breaking down in a fuel injected water cooled car, with a highly efficient oil filter, but in an air cooled motorcycle with carburetors, the fuel dilution into the oil, the higher temperatures, the contamination for the wet clutch wearing... The engineers at Yamaha determined you need to change your oil every 4000 miles.

Use whatever kind you like, but the cheapest generic oil at walmart meets all of the yamaha requirements.

BTW, motorcycle oil does not have any additives for extended fuel mileage, lower wear - you have to make sure there are no extra lubracants in the oil or it will make your clutch slip. Oil labeled specifically for motorcycles does not have those additives, and its usually more expense (because of something that is NOT in there).

If you look at the round API seal (API service rating doughnut), you want the bottom half of the circle to be blank. Google this if you dont understand what Im saying.
Diogenes415 and Diogenes415 like this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-19-2018 at 08:01 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 AM

I use Mobil 1 in my Sporty but then the clutch doesn't share oil with the motor. Either way I still wouldn't go beyond the scheduled oil change intervals as stated by the vehicle manufacturer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I did some research, and I'm with you guys. I will just keep on doing what I have been. KCW, I understood perfectly ha ha. No worries. Google should open their own college.
Elk and Elk like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

first off, that 20K mile oil protection seems to only be offered to cars and trucks. their site only shows 2 options for motorcycle oil: v-twin and racing.
secondly, even they state in the fine print that they recommend the user still adhere to the vehicle's manufacturer recommended oil change intervals while under warranty.
lastly, that 20K/1yr oil is meant for mainly highway miles. your engine wears a lot less and uses oil more efficiently doing highway miles than city miles, or anything with regular stop/go activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
user manual for a vstar requires you to change your oil every 4000 miles, and your filter every 8000 miles, no matter what kind of oil you use.
... The engineers at Yamaha determined you need to change your oil every 4000 miles.

true, but that 4,000 mile number is somewhat arbitrary itself. for liability and practicality reasons, they're not going to write out a bunch of stipulations for all the various different oils out there one can use in their vehicles. some oils should be changed at the 2,000 or 3,000 mile mark while others can protect your engine for well past 4,000 miles or 4 months. so their number, like most manufacturers, is most likely based on what's the average performance and availability of current oil in the market.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode