Oil light on - oil full - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil light on - oil full

I was almost home after my ride today and my oil light came on. I just did a change (with filter) about 2 weeks and 500 miles ago. I immediately stopped and took out my trusty extendable mirror and checked the level. It was good. Started her back up and after about 10 seconds the light came on. So I rode the final half mile home and parked it. I took it pretty easy, but RPM had no effect.

I came inside and asked google what it could be. Of course it brought me here to an older thread where I learned that sometimes the oil can foam and fool the sensor. Ok, sounded reasonable after a 100 mile ride. So I let it sit for a couple of hours. Went back out to the garage and did a temperature check - pipes were cool; engine was just slightly warm. Did another oil check and it's at the top of the glass. It was just over halfway between the marks after I changed the oil and every day since, which is weird but maybe the bike wasn't perfectly level. Anyway, fired it up and after about 10 seconds, the light came on again. Did I not let it sit long enough for the foam (if that was the problem) to settle or could something else be causing this?

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Take this very loosely
I have only known oil to foam up when it is overfilled, and something like the crankshaft keeps dipping into it, turning it up.
Most of my knowledge about this more comes from dealing with my nissan juke cvt oil though. Learned really quick when the dealership overfilled it by 2qts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:15 PM

Garage
I googled and found this:

The light does indicate level only. It has no connection to oil pressure. Some earlier models had a sensor with a small opening in it. This caused false signals. A common fix is to remove the sensor and drill the hole out to a larger size or to replace it with one from an '04 or later model which already has the larger opening. Even then you will get the occasional false light.

I checked part number for my 2001 1100 and could not find it. It would only come up with 2004. I think your bike might have an older sensor and with time the hole has closed up with just normal oil sludge. If it was mine and the oil was full with no new noises coming from engine I would drive it until I had chance to pull sensor and inspect. Good luck and please post fix.
Diogenes415 likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:21 PM

Garage
Think I had read one issue on the 1100 was that an air bubble (foamed oil) would get on the hole for the sensor and block the senor read. Much like Les was saying. A work around was to fill the oil 1/3 to just under 1/2 way up the sight glass. Think it equals out to .2 qts less than the book calls for. Get adequate amount of oil, but not so much as to induce foaming. I had noticed, mostly on cooler mornings, that my oil light would blip on for about 30 sec to minute...however it would do it at about the same distance from the house each time and would go out if I wiggled the bike a little or tapped the brakes while coming up to the stoplight. Oil was fresh, no noises, and level was in a good range, so one of those known oddities I have come to expect.
This is one my 02 1100 by the way.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks guys. I went out and took out the oil filter to make sure it was in correctly and the o rings were all where they should be. All was good. Since it had time for the oil to settle well I rechecked it several times, making sure I was level, and found it to be near the top of the marks. I drained a little out so it's right at the halfway mark, or slightly over half. Again, the light came on after about 10 seconds of running. It doesn't flicker or go out if I rev it up which leads me to believe it is the sensor. Since the oil level is good, no abnormal noises, and the filter is relatively new I'm going to run it tomorrow on the group ride and check the sensor once the weekend is over.

One more dumb question. I moved recently and my manual is somewhere in the mountain of boxes in my basement. Can you guys point me in the general direction of said sensor?

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Garage
It's on bottom of engine. Has thin metal cover on it. Picture of sensor and cover.

Hope that helps.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That does help. I figured it was under there somewhere. Thanks again.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Went out to fire up the bike for today's ride, dreading riding it with the red light glaring at me. But it didn't come on, not once in today's 100 plus miles. I knew VStars were dependable but I had no idea they were self repairing! lol

Seriously though, it looks like it was the oil foaming and fooling the sensor and I wasn't giving it enough time to come out of it last night. Thanks again for all the assistance and I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get the evil red eye from my bike again!
Elk and lesblank like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

if oil foaming up over the sensor was the issue, then won't it just happen again? how come it hadn't happened before?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Maybe the sensor is on its way out, I dunno. I've only had it since Nov 16 and have about 10,000 miles on it. It's only a level sensor and the oil level is good. If it happens again, I'll replace the sensor. Until then, I'll just keep a closer eye on the oil.
Scrumdown likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode