Oil leak - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Pap

Thanx guys.
The bike has only done 25,000 km
I may have overfilled it before I went away. The level was on the higher side in the window, but now itís ok and still leaking.
KCW. Could you post a screenshot of that page on the manual or a link to the manual if itís online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 08:34 PM

Garage
Repair manual.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1555636968687

Screenshot on middle gear section.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Pap

👍Thank you.
Iíve been catching up on some gardening today, scoring some browny points with the Minister of Finance and Pleasure.
Iíll have to wait a couple of days before I can work on the bike.
Iíll let you know how I went soon
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Pap

Update.
Been to a couple of bike mechanics. One is ďsupposedĒ to be the best and the other is the local Yamaha dealership. None have seen a leak in that area.
They both told me to drop it off and theyíll have a look (and charge) because these bikes shouldnít leak in thare.
I just called a Yamaha dealer outside of town and he told me my mileage and where the leak is coming from. He was only out be 1100kms.
Apparently the oil seal in your image labeled ď9Ēleaks after 30000km. Iíve done 28900.
He even gave me the part number. Guess whoís getting my money when I upgrade?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 07:49 AM
KCW

Garage
That looks like a relatively simple o-ring to replace: take off the back wheel with drive shaft

pull the C clips off the universal and split it

take the nut off to remove the universal

take the 4 bolts out to remove the bearing (assume you have to drain the oil first...)

and the oring is right there.

I see a part that is not labeled on the drawing, between 8 & 9... I would assume the bearing is in the oil and the mystery part might be a shaft seal? odd that its not labeled in the diagram.

I noticed when I wash my 650 I see oil rainbows in the water draining off the bike. Wiping it down and looking under it with a mirror that area on my bike is a bit oily - enough to make the lower swing arm grungy, but never enough to drip oil on the garage floor.

My bike has 42,000 miles on it, and I dont appear to be losing any oil between 4000 mile oil changes - never have to add a drop. So maybe mine is oozing just enough to get things oily on the output side of the shaft.

Its pretty much impossible to make a shaft seal that does not at lease keep the output shaft wet with oil, as long as its not dripping or losing oil while the bike is in gear and running.

Last edited by KCW; 04-30-2019 at 08:38 AM.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Pap

Correction. That unlabeled part is the offending seal.
I miss understood the mechanic.
Looks like the job is easier than I thought.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Pap

Iím back.
I opted to get the bike fixed at my local dealer.
Just got it back.

They replaced the seal and found the collar (#8 on the diagram) was worn out where the seal sits, so they turned it around.
There was also a small leak at the front cylinder inspection cover and I also got them to replace the neutral safety switch.
All up it took them 5 hours.

$440 au. Iím happy.👍
lesblank and KCW like this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 AM
KCW

Garage
good deal, there are only two ways to kill a Vstar engine

1. rev it up to near the red line in gear, then instead of shifting up, kick it down and let out the clutch, mechanically redlining the engine.

2. Run the engine with the oil pump sucking air, either by draining the oil and forgetting to put the new oil in the bike, or having a small oil leak and not checking your oil level every day.

I looked at a Vstar 650 last year, only 4k miles on the odo, owner said the front piston was "making a clicking noise".

Beautiful bike, asking $1500 - he rode it 35 miles away, it starting making a knocking sound, and he drove it 35 miles back on the interstate. He drained the oil out, there was only 1 quart in the engine.

It had been leaking oil for months, leaving a small puddle on the garage floor. It was also leaking when he rode it. Engine destroyed.

Best to get after any oil leaks when they start, because they will only get worse.

keep an eye on the shaft for signs of leakage for the next year or so

Since this is a rare place for a leak to happen, its possible the bearings on the shaft are failing, making the shaft loose, making the seal leak. Something to keep in mind.

When a bike has an unusual problem there might be a deeper issue.

Last edited by KCW; 05-16-2019 at 08:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode