Oil leak - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Pap

Oil leak

I just got back from a 2 day ride on my 2008 Vstar650 Classic with some mates. We did about 500km.
Now I have an oil leak. I degreased it so I can find the leak. Itís coming from under the rubber sleeve on the motor side of drive shaft.
Is that a simple repair or a job for the bike mechanic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:11 AM
KCW

Garage
are you referring to the rubber seal on the drive shaft all the way back where the drive shaft goes into the gear hub on the wheel,

or did you take the side cover off the rear of the engine by the drive shaft universal, and the oil is leaking from the engine in front of the universal out of the back of the engine?

also how much is it leaking? is it making a puddle on the garage floor every night, or is the drive shaft just getting a bit oily?

Last edited by KCW; 04-17-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Pap

I had read that the neutral safety switch usually leaks so I took the cover off.
Looks like itís coming from the back of the engine under the rubber sleeve. (Not the neutral switch) I assume it covers the universal. The oil is unusually clean though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 AM
KCW

Garage
When you degreased the engine, did you scrub it down every place that looked oily?

There is a rubber boot over the differential on the back of the engine.

I thought my 650 was leaking out of the engine where the drive shaft exits the case. It was actually the rear tappet cover all the way up on the head. I had adjusted the valve clearance and did not replace the o ring on the tappet cover. The oil started oozing out slowing, all the way down the side of the cylinders to the case, spreading out everywhere, and then dripping a bit down by the drive shaft.

I thought it was the drive shaft seal flinging oil around while it was spinning, until I soaped the whole back of the engine down with laundry soap. Then when I started it up I could see the oil oozing out all the way up on the tappet cover on the head.

If you have cleaned everything good, dont assume its coming from one place or the other until you can see new oil coming out at only one place.

The other thing I would suggest is to make sure you did not overfill your crankcase. Sit on the bike with a small mirror in your left hand and reach down and look at the site-glass window, holding the front brake with your right hand. you can lean the bike a bit left and right - if you cant see the oil line in the top of the window, even when you lean the bike to the right, your case is overfilled. That can cause oil to be forced out of seals that normally would not weep while the bike is running.

If you are sure its the rear drive shaft seal, you can find the Vstar 650 factory Service Manual online as a PDF download, from a couple websites for free. There is a section there on replacing that shaft seal. I have never heard of anyone needing to replace it, so I dont know how much work it would be.
JonMaz2112 likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Pap

Here is a picture of the offending leak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oilleak.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	83894  
JonMaz2112 likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Pap

Ok. Thanx.
Iíll have a closer look tomorrow and Iíll let you know how I went.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Pap

Iím back.
Ok. I had a real goos look again. I pealed back the rubber cover/sleeve on the engine block side of the shaft. I wiped down the inside (it had oil spray inside) then I degrease the whole bike again. I rode it to work and back.
Guess what. Still leaking from the same spot.
Iím guessing there must be a faulty seal.
I remember when I had my tires replace a couple of years ago, they removed the driveline to get to the rear tire. Only took him a minute.
Question is. Once I remove the drive shaft, would that seal be easy to access and replace?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:33 PM
KCW

Garage
I looked thru the service manual, there is no explicit set of instructions for just removing that rear seal.

With the back wheel off the bike, you pull that boot off and you are looking at the universal. You can split the universal by taking... looks like C clips off. Then there is a nut on the "middle gear shaft" that lets you take off the other half of the universal.

The seal is then right there. I dont know if the seal can be pried out without removing the middle shaft first. Maybe someone has done this or had it done on their bike and can give more information.

How many miles are on the bike? Did you check and make sure the oil is not over filled?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:45 PM
KCW

Garage
I did a quick search here and Im not finding any posts where someone had the mid shaft seal leaking (part that drives the universal)

there are several threads with a leak somewhere nearby, that looked like a shaft seal.. so still unless your bike has a lot of miles (like 100,000) its not likely to be the shaft seal

but one thread said once you pull the universal apart and take that nut off, you can pry the seal out... so its not an engine pull, or partial tear down... But get a few more opinions on this before you tear into things.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:50 PM

Garage
I've removed many what I call blind seals (seal without a lip) many times in tight areas. You can take a screw and screw it in the seal. With vise grips pull on the screw. On bigger seals a slide hammer makes it easy. Works good.

Here's a video.

https://youtu.be/Ehqz1Y-ggGo

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode