How do you check your oil? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How do you check your oil?

I was trying to figure out the best way to check oil. If you are supposed to have it upright and look at the window. I believe this is physically impossible for me without landing on my head. Do you put a 2x4 under kick stand?

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:54 AM

Garage
I have a smaill 2" mirror on a telescopic stem. Works great. I keep in in the bag.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:56 AM
KCW

Garage
get a little piece of a mirror

put the bike in gear and hold the brake if the window is on the left side of the bike

sit on the seat, bike vertical, reach down with mirror - easy

this is a good time to point out, because the oil filter fills with oil when the engine is run, and depended on which bike you have it may slowly drain out after the bike has sat (over night, over a week...) its best to check your oil after you have rode a few miles, let it sit for minute to let the oil drain down from the heads, then check it

if you check it then, check it in the morning again - if its the same then just check it in the morning from then on

the potential problem is, if the filter slowly drains out and you check it, it will look hi, or full when its not.

BTW< if you want to stand your bike up to work on it, get a couple 4x4s or a 4 x 6 and a 2x4 block of wood andand make a solid stack of blocks that fits under the frame on the right side of the bike (just behind the engine, lean the bike up on it solid, then slide some wood under the kickstand to hold it level
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:58 AM

Garage
I've got a lighted inspection mirror, works great. I've dropped stuff way to often while working on cars. I glued a magnet on end of lighted mirror to pick up my loose screws. 😀

Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Les B.
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 AM
KCW

Garage
while we are talking about clever ways to do things, this year when it was time to get my car inspected no one was around to check my tail lights, turn signals... to see if any bulbs were out

so.. empty coffee cup, cell phone, 2 minute video of me stepping on the brakes, reverse lights, turn signals... easy.

(coffee cup makes excellent cell phone camera tripod)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
get a little piece of a mirror

put the bike in gear and hold the brake if the window is on the left side of the bike

sit on the seat, bike vertical, reach down with mirror - easy

this is a good time to point out, because the oil filter fills with oil when the engine is run, and depended on which bike you have it may slowly drain out after the bike has sat (over night, over a week...) its best to check your oil after you have rode a few miles, let it sit for minute to let the oil drain down from the heads, then check it

if you check it then, check it in the morning again - if its the same then just check it in the morning from then on

the potential problem is, if the filter slowly drains out and you check it, it will look hi, or full when its not.

BTW< if you want to stand your bike up to work on it, get a couple 4x4s or a 4 x 6 and a 2x4 block of wood andand make a solid stack of blocks that fits under the frame on the right side of the bike (just behind the engine, lean the bike up on it solid, then slide some wood under the kickstand to hold it level
Dang you guys are smart i never thought of a stick mirror.
I do have a cycle jack but heard you have to adjust to lift bike because motor is lower than frame. I haven't tried it yet. I do need to make it work for cleaning spokes.
(to clean coating from playing cards cloths pinned on)
KCW likes this.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Garage
I have mounted a small [1/2" x 1"] mirror on the floorboard. There are commercial ones made ,but it is real simple to make , just a mirror a small piece of aluminum and a small bolt .
It works great! Just sit on the bike and look down. Can even see the oil in the window when idling, it's a bit lower than when stopped and when you rev it a little it floods the window.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:19 AM

Garage
Here is the website. As you can see it's very simple. qwikview1100.weebly.com

Last edited by skypupbob; 06-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Checking oil level on v-star 1300

I usually place a small level on the gas cap, and have my girlfriend hold the motorcycle upright while she keeps her eyes on the level, I check the oil level.

A day of riding is definitely better than a day of fishing
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
while we are talking about clever ways to do things, this year when it was time to get my car inspected no one was around to check my tail lights, turn signals... to see if any bulbs were out

so.. empty coffee cup, cell phone, 2 minute video of me stepping on the brakes, reverse lights, turn signals... easy.

(coffee cup makes excellent cell phone camera tripod)
Did you facetime it to your self too?
Dolfan likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode