Drain plug crush washer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By American
  • 2 Post By Deeksvstarclassic
  • 2 Post By American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Drain plug crush washer

I rarely ever change a drain plug crush washer and I have never had one leak on me. I have used the same crush washer many times and sometimes never replace it with a new one.

I do however use a torque wrench to tighten the oil drain plug, no matter the vehicle I only tighten to 14 lbs ft of torque.

I wonder if the reason some people have issues with crush washers is because they tighten the drain plug like a gorilla. The oil drain plug does not need much torque to secure it eliminating damage to the crush washer and striping out the threads from over tightening.

Many people because it is an oil drain plug think they have to tighten it until they can't turn it anymore, that just leads to leaking crush washers and striped out threads.

My current Yamaha Star Venture has the same crush washers that came with the Dimple drain plugs I installed in all three drain plug holes. I installed the Dimple drain plugs and crush washers at the 1,000 mile mark when I drained the 600 mile service oil to flush wear metals from break-in.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
I have never changed the crush washer on any bike or car i owned in over 40 years. I don't use a torque wrench but just give it a little girly tight. I know some will be on me for no torque wrench but there i said it. I would use it if i had one. Guess i am just too cheap.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 08:59 AM
KCW

Garage
I think the torque spec for the drain plug is 24 ft lbs. If you torque it correctly it should never strip out.

thing you have to worry about is most motorcycles do not have a low oil pressure warning light, or a low oil level warning light, and even if they did chances are you would not see it down on the gas tank when it comes on (unless you wire it to the horn).

If the drain plug comes loose while riding your entire engine is toast.

it takes a pretty exceptional condition for me to ignore the torque specs in the official Yamaha owners or service manuals.

you can get a torque wrench from Harbor Freight for $10: no excuses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 09:49 AM

Garage
I knew i was opening my self up for a spanking. I can actually say i am the closest to buying one than i have ever been. As soon as i buy one i will let you know so KCW and Les can sleep nights.
KCW and Redbird58 like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

The Yamaha torque spec on the drain plug concerns me and is why I only torque to 14 lbs ft. The first time I changed the oil I started tightening the drain plug to 24 lbs ft per the spec but it just did not feel right like it was going to strip the plug or threads. I have never had a drain plug come loose.

Both my Victory and Harley only torqued the drain plugs to 14 lbs ft. and never had a leak with either one, it works just as good on the Yamaha.

When I change the oil now you have to give the drain plugs a good crack to get them loose as it is.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeksvstarclassic View Post
I knew i was opening my self up for a spanking. I can actually say i am the closest to buying one than i have ever been. As soon as i buy one i will let you know so KCW and Les can sleep nights.
If you buy one I suggest stepping up to a higher quality torque wrench than Harbor freight, I would at least go with a CDI brand torque wrench, CDI is a big player in torque wrenches, they are owned by Snap On and CDI makes Snap On's torque wrenches.

A CDI branded torque wrench has a slime handle and the ratchet head won't be branded but the quality is very good and you can count on them being accurate.

I have all Snap On torque wrenches except of one which is a CDI brand. Side by side you can see the differences between the Snap On and the CDI torque wrenches but the internals will be the same basic designs. externally the Snap On torque wrenches are very nice and hard to beat when you use them a lot.

CDI can be bought for pretty good prices and you know you have a quality torque wrench.
KCW and Deeksvstarclassic like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 PM
KCW

Garage
I agree you should always get the best tools you can afford

I still have most of the Craftsman tools I bought for my first car in 1976, including the 200 ft-lb 1/2" drive beam-style torque wrench for putting the flywheel back on the VW engine.

Cheap tools will break when you have a difficult repair on your hands. Tools with unlimited warranty are worth the price, because you know no matter how much you abuse a wrench, if you break it, you get another one free.

Still, with something like a torque wrench, even a cheap one is better than nothing, esp working on motorcycles where most bolts screw into aluminum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode