Hello from Your AMSOIL Factory Connection Dealer Group - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 22
Bevo, I asked them a few similar questions about amsoil 20w50 in my star 950. Bob from amsoil told the that when using a premium synthetic that 10w40 is all that is needed for any weather. He told me that the 20w50 would not hurt my bike considering how hot is has been in Houston. He said to make sure I warm the bike up before riding using 20w50.

The owners manual suggests a 10w40 for cooler weather and I do plan to switch to amsoil 10w40 once it cools off here.

As far as oil life goes he said that when using an amsoil oil filter we can run 8000 miles per oil/filter change. If not using an amsoil filter simply change the filter at 4000 miles and top off the oil. I plan to do this since I'm not currently running an amsoil filter.

I hope this helps. I can forward you the PM that Bob from amsoil sent me if you would like to read it for your self. Just let me know.


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.
Sadjr111 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Corsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gatineau QC Canada
Posts: 3,650
Garage
Sadjr, it would be nice that you post the PM here so others would benefit from it. Here in Canada, the Amsoil is very expensive and as you can read above the only answer they gave me was to contact them to find out how to get it cheaper (read into becoming a dealer).

Cheers,

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow


https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Corsair is offline  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadjr111 View Post
Bevo, I asked them a few similar questions about amsoil 20w50 in my star 950. Bob from amsoil told the that when using a premium synthetic that 10w40 is all that is needed for any weather. He told me that the 20w50 would not hurt my bike considering how hot is has been in Houston. He said to make sure I warm the bike up before riding using 20w50.

The owners manual suggests a 10w40 for cooler weather and I do plan to switch to amsoil 10w40 once it cools off here.

As far as oil life goes he said that when using an amsoil oil filter we can run 8000 miles per oil/filter change. If not using an amsoil filter simply change the filter at 4000 miles and top off the oil. I plan to do this since I'm not currently running an amsoil filter.

I hope this helps. I can forward you the PM that Bob from amsoil sent me if you would like to read it for your self. Just let me know.


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Would the added life expectancy of the oil filter for your 950 be due to the amsoil filter has a synthetic element material? How does one find the amsoil filter for a particular bike? I have an '09 Stratoliner and am interested in using the synthetic element filters.



stratowart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
Would the added life expectancy of the oil filter for your 950 be due to the amsoil filter has a synthetic element material? How does one find the amsoil filter for a particular bike? I have an '09 Stratoliner and am interested in using the synthetic element filters.
I do not know what the composition of materials used is in the amsoil oil filter. I would assume that it is made with synthetic materials because their oil synthetic.

I just sent Bob from amsoil a PM. He responded with all the information. I am sure he would be happy to help you strato.

Corsair, I will post the PM amsoil sent me once I get back to my 'puter.


Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
Sadjr111 is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 22
Ok, I thought the PM from Bob at amsoil contained more information. It didnt. Its just pricing for some oil shipped to me. I asked him the questions in another thread. Its in the Oil and Lubrication section and its the thread labeled "Star 950 oil question"
Sadjr111 is offline  
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,088
I sent amsoildealer a PM yesterday about synthetic oil filter part numbers...no answer yet, but I'm a patient man....



stratowart is offline  
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator
 
bevo1981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 12,832
realized that i never posted my response. so from waaaaay, back, i called Bob and he was really helpful in explaining the oil and filter. he said that the 10w40 would be fine for my bike as well for where i ride and live.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

bevo1981 is online now  
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Corsair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gatineau QC Canada
Posts: 3,650
Garage
Quote:
You must be looking at a Retailer such as Canadian Tire.

You can pay whatever they feel like that day or call us and let us help show you how to buy at their cost.
Well it's been a while and I'm due for another oil change. Please tell me how to get it at their cost. 100 buck an oil change is getting hard on my pocket book.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow


https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
Corsair is offline  
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair View Post
100 buck an oil change is getting hard on my pocket book.
Got an 1100 Silverado too, been usein 20/50 Castrol since 06 in er, not countin labor,(my labor) costs me < 30 bucks. Oil and filter, plus I know it was done right Just something to think about

Ride Safe
Sugar Bear is offline  
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Resident of Texas, but traveling the last 9 years and wintering in Florida.
Posts: 16
Send a message via Skype™ to Centerdriver
I will become an Amsoil dealer when I get back to florida. I have used it in my vehicles since 1977 and have nothing but good things to say about it. Yes, the oil cost more, but at the same time, it saves you loads of money. What you pay for Amsoil is about twice what you pay for normal/non-synthetic oil, but you do not change it as often so your saving money. In my truck, I normally would change the oil every 4k miles. With Amsoil, I change the filter at 8k and the oil and filter at 16k. Do the math. Better fuel mileage, protection on start up and the list goes on and on. I never thought I could be a dealer/jobber until I went by a dealers home to pick up a quart since I will be heading back to florida in a few days and needed to change the filter. He told me traveling was the ideal situation for a dealer, since you don't need to keep an inventory. Will get back in here after the first of october and let everyone know what I learn, since there is a informational course to read to learn all the in's and out's.
Centerdriver is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome