Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

some info

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  bevo1981 
#1 ·
hi does anyone have any input on tires for 1100 v star/ should i stay with stock rubber or has anyone had good results with other brands also i have a squeak in the rear wheel any thing special i should look for while its apart thanks

#2 ·
Tire replacement has been a long waged war on many forums. Everyone has their own set of demands from a tire whether it be longevity or wet weather stickiness. I've been asking the same question as you and after spending many hours over the winter reading tire reviews and forums, I'm no further ahead. Sometimes too much info isn't a good thing.
I've had two really good seasons on my stock Dunlop 404's. I know where my comfort zone is. Longevity isn't great but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I'll probably stay the course.
I wish you good luck. Post your decision.

#4 ·
also i have a squeak in the rear wheel any thing special i should look for while its apart thanks

After a long winter storage, I would strongly suggest placing small pieces of roquefort in a barrier around your bike, then when the little SOB's come out squeaking from your rear wheel, nail them with a 5 lb hammer:mad::D:D

Welcome to our small, insane forum.

A squeaky wheel can have many causes, running the gamut from tire inflation, tire rubbing, bearings, dust in the brakes, etc. Given the small amount of information you've provided, it's impossible to narrow anything down at this point. Does it squeak all the time? Only when brakes are applied? Does the squeak moderate when you apply and release the brake? Have you been operating the bike a long time with the squeak or did it just begin? Do you operate on dusty/gravel roads?

LinerDave, DieselDave, Bevo and some of the other talented wrenches will be along shortly to offer other thoughts.

In the meantime, beware Bevo's poll!!!:eek:

#5 ·
Rear tire

Veestarrider,

I agree on the squeak, is likely brake. Check the pads while you have the wheel off.

I believe you are supposed to check the gear oil level and lube the splines on the drive shaft each time you change tires.

If the squeak is anything else some caution might be in order.

As someone said tires are a controversy. It is what you want for the most part. They have their pro's and con's. I just stick the stock tires. Bridgestones or Dunlops most of the time. They are designed for a cruiser seem good enough for me. They make some noise when leaning due to the wide deep groves running from center to edge of the tire. Some don't like that, I don't consider it an issue. I understand they are for channeling water out of the tire. You will be happy with any of the major brands in my opinion. You may want a bigger or wider tire for looks.

I see lots of talk of cupping. I get some but by the time it is an issue the tire is worn out anyway. Tire pressure and riding habbits are a big factor there. Braking wears the leading edge of the tread and accelerating wears the rear edge. Pressure holds down on squirm. I heard a rep from Dunlop say keep tire pressure at the max for best tire wear. I still keep my pressure at the Yamaha's recomended pressure. The max is on the tire. yamaha's pressure is on the frame.

Mostly opinion. Would welcome others.

Dave

#6 · (Edited)
Sad but true when I need tires I take my bikes to my friends at my local Yamaha shop and I never ask what tires are they going to put on. They never fail me. They always seems to be Dunlop:eek:

PS looked at my bill from last year and he put a new # Dunlop tire not 404 but a K555?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.