Anyone ride in the snow? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Anyone ride in the snow?

Riding in the snow is possible. The blokes in UK do it all the time but what about Alaska?
https://youtu.be/FP56sJm04cg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Garage
Nope, not a chance in hell I'd ever try it with a cruiser. Scary enough on 4 wheels at times. Dirt bike? Been there. Still scary but you don't cry as much when you dump it (and guaranteed that it WILL happen).
KCW, KCW, Brad_G and 1 others like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 11:28 AM
KCW

Garage
a 200 pound dirt bike with plastic fenders and studded ice tires might be fun for a while.. but not in traffic.

The primary thing that keeps us safe, how does it go? "A clean escape route is better than all the prayers of righteous men..."

If you just barely have control of your bike, when cars start spinning out all around you, you are a screwed.

Have you ever seen a fire truck going down the street at 40mph, sideways!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 01:17 PM

Garage
Simple answer: Hell no.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 08:43 PM

I rode the supersport in the snow often. I did not ride when there was slush on the ground though.
It was my only mode of transportation. Just don't lean, pay attention to how long it takes to slow down, pray there is no cars nearby.

Slush for the week after it snowed is the worst, and the slush refreezing into black ice is not fun at all, only drove then when I had to for work.
I think the snow just comes off the tires nicely and I kept traction ok, but the slush just sticks and you can't clean it out, unless your running knobby.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Nobodys lived to tell about it. :-)
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:48 PM

There's really no danger of riding in the snow if you use the correct tires and don't think that your 800 lbs bike sporting standard street tires will do. In the 80s I had a dedicated snow motorcycle for riding during the New England winters. It was an old Honda CB360 with knobbies. The real danger is the transition period when snow becomes hardpack or melts during the day and freezes at night. Studded tires worked on that but it wasn't really practical because once I hit cleared asphalt spots the chances of throwing studs increased and I'd have to refit studs after each day of riding.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 04:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
There's really no danger of riding in the snow if you use the correct tires and don't think that your 800 lbs bike sporting standard street tires will do. In the 80s I had a dedicated snow motorcycle for riding during the New England winters. It was an old Honda CB360 with knobbies. The real danger is the transition period when snow becomes hardpack or melts during the day and freezes at night. Studded tires worked on that but it wasn't really practical because once I hit cleared asphalt spots the chances of throwing studs increased and I'd have to refit studs after each day of riding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7jz52idcAU
Agreed. One -can- ride in the snow with minimized risk.

But I don't have the right tires, or bike, or the desire. Nor does it snow often enough where I live to make me want to invest in them. Not to mention, if it's cold enough to snow, it's cold enough I don't want to ride anyway.

So I'm sticking with "hell no".
CRZY4PNK and CRZY4PNK like this.

2007 V-Star 1300

-Cobra Slip-ons
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:19 PM

Garage
I think I found the right motorcycle for the snow. Anyone up for a test drive? It would be interesting.

KCW, KCW, nurtaeff and 3 others like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 02:51 PM
KCW

Garage
hey look at that!

The one riding environment where flat black everything = hi visibility!

All you need is a BlackLight LED headlight bulb.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode