Indian Scout Bobber - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Indian Scout Bobber

I just got back from a demo ride and have to admit that the Scout Bobber is my favorite of the Scouts. It has a decent riding position, is physically pretty tight and compact (small, not a bad thing) and the motor is pretty responsive when you want it to be (down-shift to get it in it's powerband and it takes off). We were limited to 60mph on the highway portion of the ride but the motor was revving at only ~3200 rpm and the power seems to really come on above 5000 and goes above 8000. It almost reminds me of the XVS1100 but in a bike that felt physically smaller than my 650. The pegs/foot-controls are slightly forward as expected with this type of bike but they're also located higher and cornering clearance seems better than with most 'cruisers'. Thankfully the Scout does not feel like yet another bike trying to copy HD.
Keith Post, Elk, lesblank and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Thankfully the Scout does not feel like yet another bike trying to copy HD.
Why replicate? Why not take idea and make it yours? (Yours ... Generally speaking.)
Keith Post likes this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 02:30 PM

Garage
I liked the Scout a lot when demoed it last year. It is very agile and fun bike to ride on curvy roads (test rides were on Blue Ridge Parkway). I really want second "around-the-town" bike and it is a hard choice between Scout, Bolt R-Spec and Iron 1200...
Keith Post likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrumdown View Post
Why replicate? Why not take idea and make it yours? (Yours ... Generally speaking.)
Seriously, I don't know what the deal is when manufacturers make a bike with water-cooling and add faux fins to make it look air cooled or design a perfectly usable v-twin bike with character and throw on a gas tank that holds fewer than 4 gallons in order to look like a particular sporty 'lightweight'of a particular heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
I liked the Scout a lot when demoed it last year. It is very agile and fun bike to ride on curvy roads (test rides were on Blue Ridge Parkway). I really want second "around-the-town" bike and it is a hard choice between Scout, Bolt R-Spec and Iron 1200...
IMO the choice would then be a matter of either low revving utilitarian tractor simplicity (Sportster) or a more modern sporty, quick shifting and light handling bike (either the Scout or Bolt). Although I have limited saddle time on both the Scout and Bolt and love the Art Deco design of the Scout motor that doesn't hide the fact that it's not air cooled or has TOC, it isn't worth paying the extra $3000 for aesthetics. I'd have to choose the Bolt between those two.

Personally I would go with the Sportster despite it's many quirks because I like old vintage/classic bikes of the 1930s-1960s and the Sportster is still essentially of that era in a mechanical sense. Too bad it has the HD emblazoned all over the damned thing.
Keith Post likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:00 PM

Garage
Thanks for posting this, Iím planning to do a demo ride on a Scout soon. I love the looks and Iíve sat on one at a local showroom. Felt agile and I cannot wait to take one out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lesblank, nurtaeff and Diogenes415 like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 08:55 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post

IMO the choice would then be a matter of either low revving utilitarian tractor simplicity (Sportster) or a more modern sporty, quick shifting and light handling bike (either the Scout or Bolt). Although I have limited saddle time on both the Scout and Bolt and love the Art Deco design of the Scout motor that doesn't hide the fact that it's not air cooled or has TOC, it isn't worth paying the extra $3000 for aesthetics. I'd have to choose the Bolt between those two.

Personally I would go with the Sportster despite it's many quirks because I like old vintage/classic bikes of the 1930s-1960s and the Sportster is still essentially of that era in a mechanical sense. Too bad it has the HD emblazoned all over the damned thing.
Personally I choose the bike based on feelings. Numbers on papers are secondary. At the end of the day if you don't like what you see and feel it does not matter how good it is on paper or in a booklet. Aesthetics plays a role too, that's why I would never buy a Chieftain or Roadmaster with their huge front fenders because it is not my style even though they are awesome bikes performance and comfort wise. I really like all 3 bikes I mentioned in my previous post appearance, it is just a matter of which one will put bigger smile on my face. I wouldn't call Sportster a tractor, they are fun bikes as well and I have no problem with HD emblems nor with Yamaha/Honda/BMW, you name it. At this moment of time I like my HD, but who knows what tomorrow will bring

Last edited by nurtaeff; 06-13-2018 at 09:05 PM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Thanks for posting this, Iím planning to do a demo ride on a Scout soon. I love the looks and Iíve sat on one at a local showroom. Felt agile and I cannot wait to take one out.

I had a blast on Scout Keith. Despite of small size it fit me pretty good with its forward controls. And its weight to power ratio is just great (1 hp per 5.5 lbs). It feels like you riding a fly with jet engine lol. A lot of fun!
Keith Post likes this.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 PM

Garage
Awesome! I was hoping that would be the jest of it after I sat on one. Just sitting there on the showroom felt like it could sprout wings and fly away. The local Indian dealership was very willing to allow us to take a test ride, however it started raining. While we were there, even in the rain, a guy came riding in on a Honda Rebel 250 that was being traded in on a new Scout. The guys wife wanted to upgrade to the Scout and she rode off in the rain grinning from ear to ear!

nurtaeff likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurtaeff View Post
...Aesthetics plays a role too, that's why I would never buy a Chieftain...
Iggy Azalea wearing a bikini:

... and Paula Deen wearing the same bikini:

nowhere near the same thing.
Elk likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 07:45 AM

Garage
Lol, that's not a bikini that's a swimsuit from 30s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode