Bought a new bike - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bought a new bike

You might have seen my post about starter clutch going bad on my 1100. While at the dealer to price the starter clutch I started conversation with a guy closing a deal on a new Venture. His trade was going to be a 2006 Harley Electra Limited Classic. He said the dealer was working with him on the price of the new bike and couldn't match what he thought was fair on his trade. I asked him how much he needed for the Harley. The salesman came back before I got his answer and they walked away. Well evertime I go to the dealer I like to wonder around. My son and I were looking at bikes and deaming which one we wanted. Well the guy with the Harley came back over and asked if I might be interested in his bike. I have several friends with Electras and I like them just never really thought of buying one due to the cost. I asked how much, he paused, and said anything over 4k. I got my phone out, went to NADA. Prices were 7k to 9k. I walked over to look at the bike, 17k miles, chrome goodies everywhere, no rust, paint very good, nothing wrong that I can see. I asked him about maintenance records. He opens saddlebag and has ever receipt from dealer from when he bought it. And I mean every receipt. He has receipts for over 5k in chome goodies. I'm now extremely cautious now, why so cheap. I asked if I could ride it. He said yes. I told him I live less than 10 miles away and asked him if I could take it home to show my wife. He said yes and away I went. My son stayed there and called my wife. Got home and took wife for quick ride. She likes it. She is retired from the court house and called up there to run the VIN. Clean title. So I go back to dealer. The guy is there and wanted to the deal. I pulled my son aside and told him this is a great deal. He told me the guy is going to work offshore and wanted to do the deal today and dealer would only give him 4k because they came down on new bike price and already has several Harleys on show room and really didn't want another one. I offered him $4100, he hesitated, and said yes. We go to bank, then court house and I road it home. Now back to my 1100. It's at my son's and I will really shop around for best starter clutch price. I will use the 1100 as daily driver as always and the Harley for two up with wife. If it turns out I don't like it I can always flip it. After the deal when riding home it rained really bad. Can say it handled the wet pretty good.

bevo1981, Keith Post, Elk and 4 others like this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:42 PM

Good for you! enjoy the ride
lesblank likes this.

David
2009 Roadstar Silverado S
2015 FJR ABS
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

i hear those car tires can handle the rain pretty well...
Elk and lesblank like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 PM

Garage
Wow, good deal les. I'm sure that'll be a lot more comfortable when you and your wife go on trips. Congrats.
lesblank likes this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 PM
KCW

Garage
I'll give you $4,200 for it :^)
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I'll give you $4,200 for it :^)
Let me think about that for a second, Nope. 😀

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Let me think about that for a second, Nope.

How bout 4200.01?

congrats, man, that’s a sweet deal! Your 1100 is so nice it tried to apologize for the starter issue and “sent” you to the dealer where you ran across a good deal! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lesblank likes this.

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Streets dried up and went for quick ride, tad over 100 miles. Can't find anything wrong with bike. Super smooth at cruising speeds, decent power, low center of gravity. Forgot to mention, both tire only two weeks old, Michelin Commander. Only issue I can't flat foot it. It's a challenge backing it up, remember I'm very vertically challenged.

bevo1981 likes this.

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 PM

Garage
Wow....almost 3 inches higher seat height over the V-Star 1100 classic. Frankly, I don't like the looks of bikes with a trunk, hard bags, fairings, batwings etc etc. If I needed all that stuff, I would buy a convertible.

1999 V-Star 650 Classic
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
You might have seen my post about starter clutch going bad on my 1100. While at the dealer to price the starter clutch I started conversation with a guy closing a deal on a new Venture. His trade was going to be a 2006 Harley Electra Limited Classic. He said the dealer was working with him on the price of the new bike and couldn't match what he thought was fair on his trade. I asked him how much he needed for the Harley. The salesman came back before I got his answer and they walked away. Well evertime I go to the dealer I like to wonder around. My son and I were looking at bikes and deaming which one we wanted. Well the guy with the Harley came back over and asked if I might be interested in his bike. I have several friends with Electras and I like them just never really thought of buying one due to the cost. I asked how much, he paused, and said anything over 4k. I got my phone out, went to NADA. Prices were 7k to 9k. I walked over to look at the bike, 17k miles, chrome goodies everywhere, no rust, paint very good, nothing wrong that I can see. I asked him about maintenance records. He opens saddlebag and has ever receipt from dealer from when he bought it. And I mean every receipt. He has receipts for over 5k in chome goodies. I'm now extremely cautious now, why so cheap. I asked if I could ride it. He said yes. I told him I live less than 10 miles away and asked him if I could take it home to show my wife. He said yes and away I went. My son stayed there and called my wife. Got home and took wife for quick ride. She likes it. She is retired from the court house and called up there to run the VIN. Clean title. So I go back to dealer. The guy is there and wanted to the deal. I pulled my son aside and told him this is a great deal. He told me the guy is going to work offshore and wanted to do the deal today and dealer would only give him 4k because they came down on new bike price and already has several Harleys on show room and really didn't want another one. I offered him $4100, he hesitated, and said yes. We go to bank, then court house and I road it home. Now back to my 1100. It's at my son's and I will really shop around for best starter clutch price. I will use the 1100 as daily driver as always and the Harley for two up with wife. If it turns out I don't like it I can always flip it. After the deal when riding home it rained really bad. Can say it handled the wet pretty good.

Beautiful! Congrat's! BTW, I think you fit the bike, very well. May you and the Missus, travel many thousands of care-free miles upon her....I like the color...she's a looker!
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 08-09-2018 at 05:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode