Honda takes the fun out of riding - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Honda takes the fun out of riding

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/15...-photos-specs/

they now have automatic shifting. you can choose true automatic shift, or there is a button on the handlebar to do paddle shifting. this would be cool to check out, but part of the fun in riding is shifting.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Nothing new. Not even for Honda. As a matter of fact the motorcycle Prince rode in the video Purple Rain had a Hondamatic. The gear shifting was dubbed in from a different motorcycle. And then, of course, there's the Suzuki Burgman with it's faux manual shifting shifting mode and the current Aprilia Mana with three different "shift" modes.

I feel the bikes are boring, but not because of the transmission. It's because I've sat on them and couldn't get over the feeling that I was sitting on an Inchworm.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 06:34 AM

I agree Bevo, I like shifting but there is a market for everything, just depends if it is a big enough market to justify the cost to Honda and other companies. It might be for borderline riders like my wife, who if she had a bike would not want to shift. Some find it complicated.

We are also now at the cusp of the electric bike which has no gears at all, so I think we are going to see a bit more variety high-bred bikes out there in the future, change is coming and I "hope" it doesn't take away the experience of why I like riding so much and that is to get away from all the clutter and electronics in my life as it is.
I think "we" will always be in the majority, the core riders will always be the most to the industry but we are going to see lots of options for others in the future. ( I think, it may never catch on to be profitable, who knows)

2014 Road King (current)
08 V Star 1300 Tourer
07 Suzuki C50 Boulevard

"debt is dumb, cash is king" ... http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by alarmguy; 11-09-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 07:02 AM

There's obviously a growing market for clutch-less in that scooters are almost all clutch-less and those things seem to be multiplying like rabbits. Internationally Every big city is covered with them and even in the states they cover major metro areas and college campuses.

Clearly, some people like clutch-less .... To each there own.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2007 Stratoliner 1900 S {RIP July 21, 2017}

2006 V Star 1100 Classic
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 02:33 PM

When you consider that the average driver in the US has NO IDEA how to drive a stick shift car.... it seems like a logical way for bike companies to go.

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'Lady View Post
When you consider that the average driver in the US has NO IDEA how to drive a stick shift car.... it seems like a logical way for bike companies to go.
using that logic you can deduce that most new bikers do not know how to drive stick shift. so it hasn't really been a deterrent over the past 100 years. i see your point that it could open up the market to potential new riders, but i don't think shifting has ever been a major factor for most people in deciding if they want to get a bike or not.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Actually, that might make an interesting poll... I personally do not know a single motorcycle rider who did not have some experience with stick shift first (unless they started on dirt bikes as a kid).

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM

The very first powered vehicle I drove was a Sears Allstate Super Crusaire (a rebadged Vespa 125). It had the classic left hand clutch and left hand twist grip shifter. This fall I rode my Yamaha 400 Majesty, with the twist-and-go transmission, up Pikes Peak. A couple of weeks later I rode my 250 Star up Pikes Peak. I recall thinking just how much work the Majesty's automatic transmission had done for me, as I was shifting my way up the mountain. Which was more fun? It's a tough call - but the Majesty was NEVER in the wrong gear.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
This fall I rode my Yamaha 400 Majesty, with the twist-and-go transmission, up Pikes Peak.
I'd like to do it in a T Max but evidently Yamaha didn't see enough market demand to keep it in the US.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM

The Ridley has been around a long time too. I can see, especially a new rider with no standard transmission experience wanting to go this route...

Annie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode