Sport Bike Owners? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Sport Bike Owners?

So does anyone here own a sport bike to compliment their Star? My buddy just picked up a 2007 Yamaha R6. I was never into sport bikes before that, but riding with him...makes me want more speed. I sure would hate to sell my baby to get one but I feel like the need for speed is taking hold of me. I put together a bike group of college students (see my signature link), and we had our first meet up saturday. To my surprise I was the only cruiser leading a crew of sportys... and they were stunting pretty hard.

Does anybody get frustrated with the weak top end on their star? I hate pushing it up to ninety and feeling like I'm topping out.

2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Bagger
K&N
OEM Crash Bars
Silverado Windshield

www.DannyGray.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Super Moderator

sport bikes are toys for boys. cruisers are for men. you shouldn't feel left out. if you stick with your cruiser, you will still be riding it or a different cruiser long after most of those guys put away their sportbike phase and move on to some other flavor of the week hobby.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
Banned

showing my age but still own and can't part with my '84 turo charged GPZ 750. Would like to pick up a dirt bike again too some day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Garage
GO and rent a dirt bike for the day and I bet you wont wont it for long (well maybe)
P.S. I steel have a 84 700 Saber (would be faster if it weren't for HD and Nixon)

Last edited by farmalldanzil; 03-02-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add ps
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 10:46 AM

Does the FJR1300 Count as a sportbike or touring bike ?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

huh...looks like a sport bike, but it seems set up for touring. I guess the boundaries are bending more and more.

2007 V-Star 1100 Classic
Bagger
K&N
OEM Crash Bars
Silverado Windshield

www.DannyGray.com
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Unwanted comment from Sugar Bear: Plant both feet firmly on the ground, then live long and prosper Ride em all safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM

It's all about low and slow for me now. I ride with a group from work and they all run sport bikes. We all ride our own style and pace. I usually pass them later in the ride while they're stretching their backs and shaking out their arms on the side of the road. They're usually good for 300-400kms a day at most. I can run an easy 600-800kms.
To each his own as long as we all arrive safely.

Ride Safe
Mark

1992 Virago 750
2009 vstar 1100 classic
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Live by the sword, die by the sword

I see you have stumbled onto the dichotomy of motorcycling. The forking into two divisions of desire to participate with squids of speed, and (pardon the term) geezers, for longer comfortable lumbering runs where flash and chrome reside. For most, we are held captive by funding limitations set forth by that thing called life, where mortgage and family will eventually consume all discretionary spending and pretty much dictates a path for you. C'est la vie! You be certain to study hard in college so that you are able fill an entire stable full of different types of bikes based on riding mood. Understand the rest of us fill pages of motorcycle magazines with reviews and commentary and also visit motorcycle showrooms trying to find that one magical bullet of a bike to fulfill all of one's needs for quick stints, touring, and crusing comfort. Eventually it is less about the motorcycle's existing features and technological advances, it merely becomes more like where the potential owner is willing to make the biggest compromise in performance or comfort.

I ride with a couple of guys that can't seem to break away from the sport bikes so I know exactly what you're talking about. They had raced previously at New Hampshire Speedway and went through race school so riding is always a brisk pace. Both owned a Roadliner at one time, so they know my capabilities and limitations, but they went back to sport bikes just because they want faster and better handling. It's okay, I'm on the best possible cruiser for this challenge which has all the handling and power needed, plus at the end of the day, we all have fun in our own way. It also allows me to blow the extra carbon out as if there were some or I needed an excuse. One guy is on a Kawi ZX-14 and also owns a ZX-10 and the other just traded his Bandit for a low mileage Gixxer 1000. He's owned Busas before, and frankly, I don't know how he landing on the Bandit b/c it was so out of character. They have their spurts where they may break away but I'm not too far behind for them to worry and I know they will reach their limit on the amount of miles they can travel long before I even settle into my ride. Of course, it's extremely funny to watch the two old men (in the early 40's) climb off their torture devices and waddle around until they get feeling back into their hips. They are true squids that can't seem to grow up.

Having said all that, instead of two bikes, I think you might even consider a move to a bigger Star. Granted a vtwin does not perform to the level of a 4 (v or I) but a Warrior is a nice blend of sport and cruiser and can do 140 MPH on command. The aluminium frame also handles pretty darn good too.

Most importantly though, you be extremely careful letting the peer pressure push you towards stunting and speed. Keep your head on straight even in the college years when life seems limitless and mortality is never a thought. Remember that frontal lobe is still not fully developed to make rational decisions. It's also a dangerous endevour when you are being moved in a direction outside your comfort zone while riding and begin riding on ego. You've got your whole life ahead of you, you don't need to harm youself, or worst perhaps an innocent person getting too reckless on the street.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM

I'm in my forties and my frontal lobe isn't fully developed. LOL
Great advice. Even better commentary. You have anymore Motoliner? I have a sneaky feeling that your name is attached to an article or two.

Ride Safe
Mark

1992 Virago 750
2009 vstar 1100 classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode