Did a little window shopping yesterday... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Did a little window shopping yesterday...

A neighbor and good friend of mine is in the market for a bike. He's really interested in the Ducati Scrambler but not available in this market yet. But we headed out to check out the Indian Scout and browse the local HD dealership. A few observations and affirmations:

The Scout is just too small. I really wanted to like this bike but the size was a turn off for me.

The Victory Gunner is a cool bike. My friend loved the look and lots of torque per the dealer. I'm not crazy about the matte paint but I don't hate it. I still like the look of the High Ball with the mini apes.

I still can't tell one HD from another except for the Wide Glide. Dealer inventory is impressive but nothing among the mass of bikes excited me.

If the wife would sign off, an Indian Chief would be in my garage.

The Indian / Vic dealer in Greensboro, NC was super friendly. I thought I was talking to a sales person but he was the owner! Would definitely return to purchase.

Last edited by Chazzmichaels; 04-05-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Interesting observations Chazz - as I recently visited both HD and Indian dealers in my area to window shop as well. And like you, the HD shop didn't impress. Lots of stuff , but it all looked the same, and their reps were'nt real knowledgeable. On the other hand, when I visited the local Victory/Indian dealer, I was greeted with a smile, a hand shake, and a warm welcome. I did like the Scout and if I didn't have my Roady and money weren't an issue, I would consider the Cross Country. The Big Indians are nice but for me they are too BIG ! ! ! Probably really comfy though for a long tour.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 01:35 PM

Garage
Hello, I feel the same about the Cross Country, if money wasn't a problem I'd have one now. I love what Polaris has done with Indian, but still can't get behind the idea to own one, just not quite my cup of tea style wise.
HD? Not a fan of the ride but mostly, it's people and the attitude that it seems to invoke. "If it's not a harley it's not a bike" "Harley or nuthin" I don't want to be associated with people like that, and there's way too many people like that already. (some don't even own a bike or have an endorsement)

03 V-Star 1100 Custom
83 KZ 1100 Spectre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to give the Scout another chance. The dealer only had one out of the crate and it had been damaged in transit. But allowed us in the shop to check it out. It just seemed REALLY small.

Give me a Chief, hold the tassels. :-)

Last edited by Chazzmichaels; 04-15-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 06:05 PM

Do give the Scout a try Chazz - I think you may change your mind. I test rode one a couple weeks ago, and thought it was pretty nice. It obviously does not have the bulk of the Strat or Roady, so its easy to toss in the corners, and the power is quite sufficient in my opionion.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 08:56 AM

it is a good thing I didn't look close at the Chieftain before pulling the trigger on my 1300 Deluxe. I would have spent double to own one. The Chieftain or Chief Vintage in Springfield Blue are the most beautiful motorcycles made today IMHO. Only all Springfield Blue was a 2014 color scheme. For 2015 cream and blue is the only blue you can get in an Indian.

I'm thinking the Scout is a direct competitor with the Sportster. They are both in the same price point.. It is an $11,000 motorcycle. That would explain the size and styling of the Scout. I think the bigger Indians look more like the old Indians I remember seeing as a kid.

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS

Last edited by Slayer; 04-16-2015 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Corrected typos
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Slayer - I saw a Chief in blue with tan seat and bags in King the other day. It was sweet.

Last edited by Chazzmichaels; 04-16-2015 at 11:22 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:18 PM

Had a meeting today about 4 or 5 blocks from the Indian dealer.......this thread may have me in big trouble. I've got a bad case of Indianitis! That Chieftain in either Indian Red or Blue and Cream has me calculating.....

2013 Yamaha V Star 1300 Deluxe
2011 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

I got dibs on the red! That Indianitis is viral!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 05:45 PM

I'd probably opt for the Dark Horse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode