Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

hi all v-star or road star?

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  stargazer 
#1 ·
hey everyone. been search thru the forum alot and found alot of good info. im retired and planning on a new star very soon. id like to take a camping road trip later this summer. for what i want to pay for a low mileage bike i can get an 02 road star 1600 or an 06 v-star 1100. they both seem like great bullet proof bikes. id like to hear some debate on the better choice.

#2 ·
Well I stepped up a little more and went for the stratoliner. I looked at the road star very hard but figured go for the big one. I was affraid of buying a smaller bike then a year later wished I bought the other one. I didn't want another stepping stone. Don't get me wrong they are all great bikes .I'm kinda of a gear head so I wanted big cc's. You need to road test all of them and your butt will decide. I'm very happy with the strat so I'm partial to it. They have lots of power,handle great and ride like a caddy. Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum Shadowface! This is an awesome place for information and a lot of great people. I've got the 1100 Classic, but I am seriously thinking about a bigger bike next year. I think you might hear a lot of people here who say they bought and then upgraded soon after. I like the size of the 1100, the bike anyway, but I will probably be looking for a bigger CC engine.

#5 ·
im retired and planning on a new star very soon.
Yeah I was frustrated when I retired, too.:(

You might want these guys along to help on finding that new star...

:):)

As far as I'm concerned, the 1100 powerplant is just about the perfect size. Easy on fuel, plenty of vim and vigor, reliable as an IRS reminder:(

What moved me away from that size bike was its touring weight. I found that I needed something heavier to absorb the road and engine vibes so I could tour comfortably.

I certainly didn't envision needing an 1854cc engine, and quite frankly don't need that much power (it sure is fun;)) but the Stratoliner's weight and appointments make it a wonderful multi-mission machine. It's well balanced (unlike most of the forum posters here) and is as easy to use for town errands as any smaller bike, but will tour all day and leave you comfortable and happy 500 miles into the sunset.

In the end (watch out for Aussielad here) it's what you want to spend and what your plans for the machine are.

Good luck and welcome.

#8 ·
hey guys thanks for all the input. its starting sound like the 1600 is going to be a bit more comfy on tour. i guess ill just have to finish getting the cash together and try it out. starting to think about the trip. ridin the dragon sounds like a lot of fun. 11 miles with no straights thru the Smokey mountains! hopefully wont end up on the tree of shame haha.

#9 ·
hey guys thanks for all the input. its starting sound like the 1600 is going to be a bit more comfy on tour.
...one single word of caution: the 1600's are pretty top heavy by comparison to the 1900's. If you have knee or leg problems you should consider a 1900 because of its aluminum frame and lower cg.

That's a lesson I learned the hard way from my GL1500SE: bad knees and top heavy touchdowns are a bad combination:(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.