Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Overheating

11K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  tibadoe 
#1 ·
Have a Road Star 1700. In Memorial Day parade with Patriot Guard Riders the right side of engine stated smoking as motor got hotter. Then shut off and would not start until motor cooled down. Don't have owners manual so would appreciate any feedback on where the smoke was from, is there a heat sensor that triggers the shut down, possible damage to motor, etc.

#2 ·
Error code

John,

Pretty sure like my Liner you have an engine over temp error code. I believe it is # 28. You should have seen it on your display. I don't know about damage, but it can't be good. Take a look at your oil see if it looks darker than it was.

I have been stalled in traffic on really hot days a couple of times. Things felt really hot but did not shut down. Very uncomfortable on legs, no smoke or shut down.

Liners have an oil cooler, wonder if there is a aftermarket oil cooler you can get for the Road Star?

Dave

#3 ·
Hi guys,
I am very interested in an oil cooler for my 2003 Vstar 1100 custom. I live in Phoenix and will ride through the summer. I know oil coolers help a great deal and could help me get a few more miles on this baby.
Let me know if any of you have a source for pictures of coolers.
Thanks.

#7 ·
Scootworks ripped me off. I ordered a brake pedal from them. $135. Never got it. They gave me the run around about a "shop remodel" for months. Finally I told them I just wanted my money back. The guy told me for months he was sending a check. He never did. That was over a year ago. Screw Scootworks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
I have a oil cooler on my 09 and it works well - almost too well. I was testing out two different designs of oil coolers (Jagg and DBI) and both performed well. Did I need one - no not really. I am already running synthetic oil and a re-usable oil filter/cooler. Both do a great job at protecting/cooling the engine and oil. At my next oil change I will be taking the oil cooler back off. I have changed my riding habits over the past year or so in which I don't like riding on hot days of 90+ degrees. Plus, I don't ride in stop and go traffic if at all possible - just no what I call fun riding. If I do get caught in traffic I just pull over and take a break. The R* does a great job in shedding the heat. Just my 2 cents.

#8 ·
I've heard of over-heating, but never had it happen to me once. Roadstar has always kept quite cool just as well as it should, even riding in parades at a measely 3-5mph. So long as you can keep your oil changed properly, air cleaner maintained, don't let fuel sit for to long untreated. I sit in traffic 3-5 days a week all summer long in the heat of the summer, and it gets hot, but not like that.

Something like that would point to something else being wrong to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.